Chapter 14 Part 2

Their eyes got used to the light and they lowered their hand, taking in their new surroundings. A hall with brightly lit lights.

Chrysie walked slowly down the hall, tensed up and jumping at every small sound. They peeked around the corner, overhearing the conversation.

"...don't care that you're important. I don't care what positions we're in. But do not," they heard the person pause, "do not ever insult him in that way." They saw someone leaning over a kneeling figure, knife to their throat. "Understand?" The person  - they recognized him as the king - stayed silent. The blade-holder seemed to be impatient. "I said, understand?"

The king made brief eye contact with Chrysie, gasping quietly out of shock. They whipped their head around the corner, chest heaving. They slowly slid away from the room, sprinting down the hall and getting lost in the twisting rooms. They stumbled down a flight of stairs, wincing as they crashed to the ground, pain shooting up their arm. The lights were dim.

"Sophie?" A small voice spoke. "Is that you?"

Chrysie whipped their head up, eyes wide. They scrambled away, trying to see in the low light. 

They saw a woman huddled behind bars. "You aren't Sophia, are you?"

Chrysie shook their head. "You- You're-"

"Yes, darling. I'm Queen Whitney." The queen lifted her head, smiling gently. "Do you now if my children are okay?" Chrysie shook their head again. "Alright. Do you have a name, dear child?"

"C-Chrysanthemum...Chrysie for short."

"That's a beautiful name, Chrysie."