Chapter 10 Part 2

Noah blinked. "I- what?" He stood up, staring at the door. "...the hell?"

He looked down before making his way to the doorway and opening it, thinking. At least he was trying to. his head was spinning and his mind was ricocheting off of a different thought every two seconds. He leaned against the kitchen counter again, trying to organize his brain at least a little bit. 

He felt something pull on his arm and looked to see Cooper pulling him down under the counter. "What's ha-"

Cooper turned and pressed a finger to his lips, fear apparent in his eyes. Noah narrowed his eyes and shut up, trying to listen. Muffled voices came through the doorway.

"...reports of criminals staying here?" An unfamiliar voice. It was choppy and unnatural.

"I have no clue what you're talking about, sir." Jason. "It's just been me."

"We've received sightings of people entering your home, matching descriptions of those who have been missing for a month."

Noah's eyes widened and he went to stand up before Cooper yanked him back down, mouthing "You'll put him in danger. Don't." at him. Noah searched his face, knowing he was right. He pressed his back to the wooden cabinets, opting to stay put for now.

"You don't have a search warrant, do you?" From the way Jason phrased it, it came out as a statement instead of a question. "I assure you, I have no knowledge of any criminals, thieves, or otherwise in my house. Goodbye."

There was a loud smack and Cooper had to use most of his strength to keep Noah from storming out.

A quick pause before Jason spoke. "Well, that was unnecessary."

"You're harboring fugitives. Admit it." 

"No, Mr. McPunch. There's nothing to admit."

Another pause. "Good day."

His tone turned firm and unwelcome. "Don't bring your ass around here again without legal causation."

A quick slam of the door and footsteps. Noah stood up cautiously peeking over the counter. Nothing. He glanced back down at Cooper.

Who was visibly trembling.