8.0

"who knows, maybe Brylah is going to happen sooner than I thought"

________

1 year ago

"Good morning folks and welcome to the final day of the annual international Teen high tide competition" the announcers voice is heard throughout the sunny beach.

"We have some of the best teen surfers in the world left today, including Delilah Summers who won last year and was named the 21st best surfer in the world at just 18 years old. Can you believe that Mike?"

"She definitely is going places, Allen. She's going places fast too after just graduating high school. Looks like everyone is expecting her to take the title today too"

"I don't know about that Mike, Natalie Watson is hot on her tail this year. All though she has no rankings and she's not pro yet but she's almost as good as Delilah"

"Well it's gonna be an interesting day to say the least, and a possible rivalry might be brewing between the two girls"

Everyone on the beach is either a parent, sponsor, or coach. Competitors are lined up at check in, different color water shirts with numbers on them.

A very nervous Lila stands in line, worrying about the toughness of the waves out there today. White caps breaking farther out than they should.

"Don't worry, mate. You've got this" Lila's Australian coach, Amanda, pats her back encouragingly but it doesn't calm her down one bit.

An hour or so later it's time for Lila and her two other competitors to go out, which includes Natalie.

It's rough like she thought but she was getting some good ones, Natalie would steal some from her once in a while too. She was nervous, Natalie was the biggest threat she's had to face so far.

She sees a big wave, this wave could give her a big advantage in the competition. She starts paddling fast towards it, ignoring the announcers voice through the loud speakers on a near by boat and on the beach.

At first she rides the wave like the pro she is, a little bumpy at first but she does it. The cheering and crashing of waves is heard, distracting Lila as she falls into the water hard.

There just happened to be a sharp rock where she fell, the first thing to hit it was her knee which instantly broke on impact, cutting it and blood seeping out of it and into the blue water. Then her side hit it, knocking the wind out of her.

The near by safety jet ski rushed to her before she drowned or the blood attracted a shark. When they pulled her up she was almost unconscious, all the energy drained out of her from blood loss and struggling.

The last thing she heard before she passed out was Natalie's name and cheering. She had won, she had taken her title away from her.

Delilah

Now as I sit on my surfboard, listening to Theo explain a new technique to me, it's kind of surreal. I mean my career ended on the same day and started back on the same day. It didn't even plan that either.

"Your gonna stand up and the practice jumping off your board to avoid getting hurt" bailing is probably the only thing that I probably struggled with when it came to surfing, and I know he knows that too.

Theo's just way more mature than I am when it comes to surfing, and probably life in general. Sure he's a free spirited 26 year old but he's still an adult with a nice house and a good job as a marine biologist. He's pretty successful and I'm surprised he agreed to coach me because he's busy sometimes.

After about two hours I have to head to work, changing in my car into grey sweatpants and a white cropped tank top. I brush my hair and leave it down, beach waves in it from the water. After reapplying perfume and deodorant I make my way to the Dream house.

"Miss me?" I ask as I see Chris in the kitchen.

"Wow I haven't seen you in forever" He says sarcastically while eating out of a pack of cookies. "Want one" he sticks out one to me.

"I can't, Theo put me on this ridiculous diet of pineapple and grilled vegetables and chicken. I might as well be eating air"

"Really? Why? I don't think you need to go on a diet, your already fit. I mean if my brother didn't have a crush on you and I liked you like that then-"

"Alright I get it" I stop him from finishing that sentence.

"So" Chris starts as I jump up to sit on the counter with him leaning on it next to me, putting another cookie in his mouth. "Bryan was pretty happy after we left last night, would that be an effect of you?"

"All we did was talk and get in the water"

"Well you certainly have a positive effect on him" he smiles "who knows, maybe Brylah is going to happen sooner than I thought"

"Stop forcing that ship name on us" I shake my head and roll my eyes. "He's nice and cute, but guys don't see me like that"

What I say send Chris into a laughing fit, almost hyperventilating and hysterically laughing. Why is he so loud?

"What in the hell is going on in here?" Tyler says looking at his best friend weird.

"Lila just said that guys don't look at her like that" Chris starts laughing but I don't see what's so funny.

"Are you kidding, every guy looks at you like that, hell I did at first too. No offense, your very attractive but your my friend" Tyler says.

"Yeah it did too, also no offense"

"None taken. But seriously nothing happened between Bryan and I"

"Yet" Tyler says.

"Yeah, nothings happened yet" Chris agrees with Tyler. "He's my brother, I know the signs"

"Sure you do"

"I do, and I'm always right about these things. Brylah is gonna happen, I just know it"

______

"Hey Lila" Bryan smiles.

"Hey" I sigh looking off into the distance.

"What's wrong?" He asks standing next to me, placing a hand on my back. "You can tell me" he says when I hesitate.

"Well, it's just... my career ended on this day last year, and it started back today. I guess it's just a weird coincidence"

"Isn't that a good thing though? Your doing something you love again"

"Your right, it is a good thing and I'm happy that I'm getting another chance but I've missed a whole year of competing, it's going to be tough to recover from that"

"I don't know anything about surfing but I know you can do it" He smiles.

"Thank you, Bryan. Your really sweet" I smile back and go to hug him. He hugs back, squeezing me reassuringly.