Ep 8: Catching Up

Aaron made his way to the kitchen and saw the very dark and blurry shapes of someone cooking. He couldn't tell who it was, but he had a pretty good idea for who it was.

"Uh, Shu? Is that you?" He said as he stumbled into a chair.

"Huh? Oh! A-Aaron! I didn't see you there!" Aphmau said, "How'd you sleep?" Aphmau was nervous about talking to Aaron again. What should she say?

"Fine, thanks. Had a weird dream." Aaron didn't want to tell Shu about the dream version of her. He couldn't help but listen to his dreams and figure out who she was on his own. A part of him seems to want to. 

"Huh. Here, I made pancakes. I'm sorry if they aren't very good. It's been a while since I made them and I've never been that great of a cook." Aphmau said as she put a plate in front of him.

"Thanks. You didn't have to make these for me." 

"I don't mind."

"Hey, Shu."

Aphmau turned to look into his eyes. It hurt her to see them gray and clouded like that. His eyes were so beautiful...

"Yeah?"

Aaron was silent for a moment or two. He wanted to reconnect with his closest friends, but he didn't want to put a strain in their relationship because he didn't remember much. So, he decided to be honest.

"I know that I'm not in the best mindset right now, you know, with my memories and all, but... *sigh* This isn't going to hurt our relationship at all, is it?"

This caught Aphmau off guard for a second. She's seen Aaron hurt and insecure about their relationship before, but it was a little shocking to see Aaron be so open about it. He's been working on being open back on Starlight, but he was still slightly reserved.

"Aaron. This isn't going to change a thing about us. If anything, I want to help you through this. I don't know how much I can help you remember, but I'd like to get to know you again. Who knows, this might give us a stronger friendship."

Aaron smiled to himself and said "Thanks, Shu. But there's something that I'd like to know to start. How do you know my real name? My name in the game was FC."

Aphmau forgot how to breath for a second. She didn't notice that she's been calling him Aaron the whole time when she knew him as FC back then. She didn't know what to say to this.

"Um... Ah-I... Oh-um... M-Melissa... j-just... slipped it... to me." Aphmau stuttered. "S-Shu's a-always been a n-nickname of mine, so... you can just keep calling me Shu, heh."

"Oh, ok. That makes sense." Aaron said. 

Aphmau let out a sigh of relief and set down a set of pancakes for herself. She tasted them and let out a sigh of disappointment. "Ugh. They're not fluffy enough."

"What are you talking about? They're delicious." Aaron said.

"I mean they're not as good as the way you make them. You've always been the better cook."

"I cook?"

"Yeah. You actually helped my mom fix a burnt ham with just a lemon back in high school."

Aphmau was happy that she was talking about the past with Aaron. Maybe this would help jog his memory of her.

"Huh. Was I any good at cooking? Did I burn anything at all?" Aaron asked. 

"Well, as far as I know you didn't burn anything and you occasionally added too much milk to eggs, but you're a really good cook. I always thought you should try a hand at baking. Kawaii-Chan can give you some tips." Aphmau said.

"Wow. Wait, how did I fix a burnt ham with a lemon? A burnt ham sounds like a lost cause."

"Hey, don't ask me. You're the one who did it. And my mom still hated you after that."

"Your mom hated me?"

"That's a conversation for another time." (What should Sylvana be doing through all this TT)

Just then, Melissa came into the room. 

"Hey Shu. Garroth and I are going to the park to work on our werewolf skills. You should come." Melissa said. 

Aphmau didn't think about the fact that she was a werewolf for a while. She knew that Melissa was teaching Garroth how being a werewolf worked and even though she had many experiences with werewolves, she didn't know much about how to be one. 

"Sure, that would be helpful." Aphmau said. 

"Wait, you're a werewolf?" Aaron asked. 

Aphmau forgot that Aaron was in the room when she said this. She didn't know if Aaron remembered that he's the Ultima, but she didn't think it was a good time for him to understand that whole thing. It would be too much for him. 

"Uh-uh... that's also for another time." Aphmau said. "Do you want to come with us?"

Aaron thought for a second. "I think I'm alright here for now. We can catch up later, you go have fun."

Aphmau was somewhat relived at his answer. She wanted to ask Melissa something about Aaron and it wouldn't be very convenient with him there. 

"Ok, just call me if you need anything." She said as she walked out the door with Melissa. 

'Well, it's a start.' She thought.