February 28, 1987. Saturday

Today was the day. Velum's first album will be out for the world.
I woke up with an enormous amount of excitement filling my body. I wasn't sure who to wake up first or maybe they were both already awake.
I ran to Vic's room, she was a late sleeper, so I assumed she was still knocked out.
I through the light switch in the up position and jumped on her bed.
“Wake up bitch, we have places to be and very important things to do!”
She barely opened her eyes, her mouth grew into an angry twist.
“What the hell,” she muttered. “Too fuckin' early.”
I continued jumping on the bed. Mad's door opened, and she joined us in Vic's room. She tried to rip the blanket off of Vic but the way she was rolled up in it the blanket didn't budge. Vic grabbed a pillow and hit my ankles causing me to stumble a little before I could take the pillow from her it was flying to the bottom of the bed where it reached Mad's head.
I ruffled her hair, “Ya gonna get up?”
“I guess,” she mumbled.
I jumped off the bed and ran over to Mad wrapping my arms around her neck in a hug.
“Its actually happening, I can't believe this!” she squealed.
“Get out of my room and be happy somewhere else. I can't handle this much action this early,” Vic demanded.
“Whatever you say grumpy,” I replied walking out.
“Someone shut my door.”
“Nope,” I said as I walked into the bathroom.
We were supposed to meet Jerry, the crew that helped make the album, and the guys at the studio for a little party celebrating our big day.
I let the rollers that I slept in fall out of my hair. I applied a bit of makeup then went to find an outfit. I put on a black off the shoulder long sleeve crop top, white jeans, a black belt, and black Doc Martens. The long soft curls and red lipstick gave a pop to everything.
All the guests were there when we arrived at the studio.
“Hope we're not late,” Mad stated with a laugh as we walked into the small lobby. Two tables with food and drinks were set up. Of course, it wouldn't be a party without music. Our album was humming low in the background.
“Well if it isn't the special girls,” Vinnie came over and placed one arm over me and the other over Mad and Vic.
“I'm proud of ya!”
“You know we couldn't have done this without you Vin,” I said.
“Look all I did was have a dad with a label, you guys have the talent. That's all that matters.”
“Thank you, Vinnie,” I gave him a side hug then moved on to the others.
“Jerry!”
He chuckled, “Someone's excited.”
“Hell yes I am, I just wanted to say thank you so much. For like the hundredth time.”
“No, no, thank you for giving me this opportunity. It's been a pleasure working with you girls. I hope to again in the future. But if some big ol' fancy record label wants to sign y'all I won't be mad for ya not coming back to me.”
“I'd choose you over some big fancy recording studio any day.”
He laughed and gave me a pat on the shoulder.
“Don't be to sure of yourself.”
I laughed and went to find Darrell.
Before I could get down the hall Darrell came running past me with his guitar.
He slowed down and backed up towards me.
“Shit, I'm already late!”
“For what,” I couldn't hold in my laughter.
“I was gonna play you a riff and shit when y'all came in.”
“You're good man, go ahead and play something, you know everyone loves to hear you play.”
He nodded and off he went to go plug his guitar into an amp.
I noticed Phil and Rex talking near one of the food tables.
I felt a tap on my shoulder as I walked towards them.
“Hey, I'm proud of you guys. Even though I'm sure you knew that,” Darrell said.
“I did, thanks.”
“Hey!” Rex and I did a bro hug.
Phil was looking at me with a half smile/smirk.
“What's up with you weirdo?”
“Ah, nothin'.”
He pulled me into a hug.
“You've been drinking beer. Where are they?”
“Me and Rexy here have been sneaking them from a cooler in the back. I'll getcha one.”
Rex let out a small laugh.
“What is it?”
“You'll see in time young grasshopper.”
“Oh, shut up,” I gave him a playful punch in the arm.
“Y'alls album kicks ass. Even though I'm sure I've heard pretty much every song one hundred times.”
“Thanks for the semi backhanded compliment.”
“No problem.”
A silence grew over us.
“It's weird to think just a few years ago you and Darrell were in school. We just met, we had a stupid crush.”
Both of us laughed at that.
“Don't remind me.”
“Hey, I promise I've improved my kissing.”
That comment made me roll my eyes.
“Terry was still in the band. You know, it's weird. It's like Phil has always been here, like it was meant for him. Even if he is new. . . it just feels right.”
I agreed, “I feel that too, like he's always been a part of our lives.”
Phil walked beside me and I almost jumped out of my boots.
“Sorry, didn't mean to disrupt whatever gossip was goin' on over here.”
He handed me my beer, which he poured into a red solo cup.
“Thanks.”