August 1, 1984. Wednesday

The school air hit my face. No matter how many schools I have gone to, one thing was always the same. The smell of the first day. As time went on some schools became stinkier. Some just kept the same dry smell.

I walked through the school looking for the gym. I passed a group of people sitting on a staircase.

"Hey, hate to bother you guys, but I was wondering if you could tell me which direction the gymnasium is?"

A skinny boy with big curly hair gave me a smile.

"Keep going down the hallway. It's the next left. You can't miss it."

"All right, thanks."

"Hey, nice shirt by the way." He called as I began walking away.

I turned back to the group of boys.

"Nice hair." I gave him a wave, then made my way down the hall.

I looked down at my shirt. I forgot I wore my AC/DC shirt.

This morning was quick and blurry in the back of my head. I almost woke up late. I had to rush to get ready. Not that I spend a lot of time on my appearance. I don't prefer to look like a slob, though. I put on a pair of black high top Converse, jeans, and a flannel. And my shirt.

The gym was full of people. Girls with big hair gossiping in huge groups. Jocks messing around with their friends. Nerds reading or searching around for a friend. I didn't feel welcome mixing in with any of the cliques I saw.

Apart of me wanted to trudge back to the guys sitting on the steps. But they might be gone by now, and they probably don't want some random girl bugging them.

I decided to just find a spot and sit. I wasn't a self-conscious person at all. I would consider myself confident, or maybe bold. I'm not the type to flaunt my stuff around or be rude (unless it's necessary). I like to start conversations, get to know people. Hell. At this point I didn't have a choice. I move around so much I either have to be charismatic or I would have nothing.

I should probably talk to people right now. It's only morning time. I'll be fine, I told myself.

As the day went on, I didn't meet many people who I would consider a friend. Some people I talked to seemed confused with my energy and charisma. Or maybe it was just because I'm different and it's early in the morning.

Lunch rolled around, and I still had discovered no amazing new people. I searched around for the curly-headed boy I met this morning. He was nowhere to be found.

I spotted a girl wearing a Led Zeppelin tee. I like Zeppelin, I thought to myself.

I sat my tray next to hers. The individuals who surrounded her looked confused.

"Hey, I'm Katie. I don't mean to invade any of your privacy, I'm new here and haven't made any friends. I noticed your shirt. I like Zeppelin."

It was silent for a moment.

"I'm Maddie. I go by Mad, nice to meet you!"

Finally, someone with a personality.

I shook her hand.

She introduced me to her, I assumed to be friends.

"This is Lilly and her boyfriend Russ. Where are you from?"

I gave out a slight laugh. "That's a long story, I was born in Connecticut, the last place I lived was Florida. Now I'm here. My dad's in the military."

"That's cool, so have you been to Disney World?" Russ asked.

We all laughed. "I went once. I think it's overrated."

"But how, it's Disney World? The happiest place on Earth."

"People dressed in animal costumes isn't my cup of tea."

"Are you a senior?" Lilly asked.

"Yeah, how about y'all?"

They nodded.

The lunch bell rang.

"What are your next classes, Katie?" Maddie said.

"Let me check. English with Mrs. Carter and Home EC with Mr. Simone."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, is that bad?"

"No, that's great! I have those classes too." She smiled at me. "Let's get to class. Friend."

Mad made me feel welcomed. I had a feeling she would be a big part of my life.