17 - 'Hanging out' is what the kids call it nowadays, right?

~3rd person~

Aiden was stressed. He just wanted to relax, and his heart told him he should do it with Jamie, for some reason, while his head told him no. His head also told him he should disassociate with the girl. He did something out of character, and went with his heart for once.

When he was outside her door, about to knock, he regretted going with his heart. What if it's awkward? What if she doesn't want to see him? Aiden sighed slightly before knocking on the door. A loud "IT'S OPEN!" was his answer. He opened the door slowly, only to see Jamie painting her toenails while listening to some heavy rap music.

"Oh, Aiden! Hi!" She shouted over the music.

"I didn't know you were into this kind of music!" Aiden replied, also shouting.

"I'm not! I only listen to it because it sounds badass!" She yelled. "Like you..." she added quietly, a small frown replacing the large smile she had moments earlier.

"What did you say?" Aiden shouted, noticing she wasn't as happy as she was.

"Nothing!" Jamie replied, the smile returning, before running to the stereo to turn the music down. 

"So, how are you doing?" She asked as she returned to the sofa.

"I'm good."

"That's great! Do you want me to paint your nails?"

"...No, not really."

"C'mon, I'll paint them pink! I know it's your favorite color!" She said in a teasing tone. She reminded Aiden of Nicky when they were kids. Always so happy. Always so...optimistic.

"No, I can't have people seeing me with pink nails, I have an image to keep!" Aiden replied, mimicking her tone.

"I'll paint them black then!"

Aiden thought about it for a moment before sitting down beside her. Only to shut her up, he thought. But deep down, he wanted to spend time with Jamie. He cared about her, especially if Damien was after her.

The banter flew back and forth between them, and Aiden found he was enjoying himself. A strange feeling, one he wasn't too familiar with. It felt good. A great stress reliever. He could tell Jamie was enjoying herself also. She couldn't wipe that smile off her face. Aiden realized he enjoyed seeing her smile. She was so pretty when she smiled.