26 - Apoligies

"Aiden, I'm sorry." George said.

"No, I'm sorry."

"I have a feeling you mean that in more ways than one. And it's not directed entirely at me."

Aiden didn't reply.

"I'm going to go now. I'm- I'm going to tell her family." George said, his voice cracking midway. Aiden nodded, and George left, leaving Aiden alone.

Aiden slowly gathered his mind. He stood up, and looked over at her body, still on the kitchen table. Aiden walked over, slowly. He reached out to touch her hands. They were cold. Her eyes were still open, but they were lifeless. Dead. Aiden put a hand up and closed them. A sob broke out.

Do you remember how this first begun?

Teeth were white and our skin was young

Eyes as bright as the Spanish sun

We had nothing we could hide.

"I'm sorry, Jamie."

More sobs.

"I'm so, so sorry." Aiden clutched her shirt. Her favourite t-shirt. It was filthy now.

"I'm sorry I never told you I loved you."

Minutes passed, with Aiden standing there, over her body, crying. Crying all the unspoken words. But, of course, it's too late now.

Now, my dear, we are two golden leaves

Clinging desperately to winter trees

Got up here like a pair of thieves

While the sirens blare outside.

Damien.

This was Damien's fault.

He was the one who captured Jamie. But Aiden was the one who let her get shot. Aiden's mind wandered, before coming to an important question.

What now?

It was safe to say Aiden's world had shattered. In the short days Aiden knew Jamie, he grew to love her, only he didn't notice. She was always so happy. So...optimistic.

What's that saying? The good die young.

What's left to say when every word's been spoken?

What's left to see when our eyes won't open?

What's left to do when we've lost all hope and

What's left to break when our hearts are broken?

In that moment, Aiden decided he would kill Damien. Not for himself, or for Nicky, or for the countless bad things he had done, but for Jamie. Because Jamie deserved to be avenged. She deserved to be remembered. 

A/N: Credits for the song go to Passenger, my all-time favourite.