Revelation

The moment those words left Mary's lips, the room went dead silent.
Only the birds chirping outside and the distant noise of the townsfolk can be heard. But the room was even quieter from Arthur's perception.
It was as if time's stopped.
It hit him like a rifle hitting him in the head, almost knocking him out.
He was too shocked to give one of his sarcastic remarks. Or even speak.
He just leaned back on the dresser, staring emotionlessly at Mary's blurry silhouette by the window.
"I've always known, Arthur." Said Mary in her soft voice, breaking the awkward silence.
She started slowly walking towards him, with her eyes glittering with tears. "I know" she continued, "an-and I think you know to-"
"Are you out of your goddamn mind?" Said Arthur calmly, interrupting the speech she'd planned for years. He was trying hard to control his anger.
"Arthur, just hear me out. I've heard you whisper his name in your sleep countless times. I've seen the way you looked at him back in the day. You've always protected him and looked out for him. It even made me a little jealous... I know you don't like thi-"
"This conversation is over." Said Arthur, picking up his hat and walking towards the door.
Mary ran in front of him, holding on to his shoulders with all of her strength to stop him, "I said hear me out! Hear me out for once!"
"Hear what out? How do you manage to find new ways to hurt me like this?"
"I didn't mean to hurt you, Arthur. Not now, not ever." She exhales, "Believe it or not, I still love you, Arthur. And as much as this pains me, I just want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy." She explained.
"Be happy with Marston?!" He shouted angrily, breaking free of her grip.
"You deserve to be happy with whomever you choose. Although I don't agree with your way of life, but I know that you still have a heart. You're still a good man." she placed her soft palm on his cheek, caressing it.
"I'm an outlaw and a drunk, Miss Linton. I rob. I kill people. I've done every bad thing there is to do, but I sure as hell ain't no damn homo!"
"Arthur, I know you!" She shouted, as tears started slowly rolling down her rosy cheeks.
Arthur said nothing.
Mary sighed, "I knew that this was going to happen. Why did I even bother? I just wanted to let you know and clear my conscious." She said as she lifted her hand off of his face and walked back to get her things, "you can leave. There really is no helping you. Goodbye, Arthur."
Arthur looked at her emotionlessly as he put on his hat and muttered "you don't know me, Mary."
He then left her alone in the room slamming the door shut on his way out.