✰five✰

i sat on my neighbor's dock waiting for them to come over. 

"maddy!" called out Kie as the pogue came to the dock,

"hey guys." i said and got on the boat, holding her hand as she helped me on.

"so, why'd we have to pick you up over here?" asked JJ

"ugh, JJ give the girl a break." said kie, opening a beer and handing it to me.

"my dad." i said sipping my beer "doesn't want me hanging out with kids from 'the wrong side of the tracks' you know how it is." i said to kie

"yeah i totally get it, pope is such a bad influence." we all laughed

a few hours later we were laying on the front of the boat, all of the boys had their shirts off and kiara was in her bikini, if i wasn't battered and bruised i'm not sure i'd want to wear my bathing suit, she's so beautiful. 

"aren't you hot in your outfit?" asked kie "i'm like so sweaty and i don't even have half the clothes you do on."

"yeah its warm, but i don't get hot easily." i lied, i was sweating through my pants and could feel my thighs sticking to the boat.

"you sure?" asked pope "you look kinda hot." 

"actually you look very-" kie slapped her hand over jj's mouth before he could say something and i heard the boys die with laughter.

"no, no i'm fine." i said waving them off.

by now it was around 6 and i was getting so hot i thought i was gonna pass out, everyone was in the water so i slipped my sweatshirt off. there was one bruise on my right arm and my chest had several scars on it. no one was around though, so i sat there for a moment  until i heard movement, i froze and slowly turned to see jj stumbling onto the boat watching me, i quickly put on my sweatshirt as he got on the boat and sat next to me, i scooted away and his face faltered.

" 'the hell happened to you?" he asked softly, a look of pity on his face, which i hate. i hate the feeling of others looking at me in that way like 'oh look at the poor rich girl who's daddy beats her.' yeah i get it and frankly i don't care about how you feel.

"huh? nothing." i said quickly pulling the sweatshirt higher on my chest so everything was covered,

"cut the bull maddy tell me whats going on." he said

"nothings going on JJ, i fell down the stairs earlier thats all." i lied

"stop lying about shit!" he said rather loudly, i was worried the rest of the pogues would hear, but they were playing some game in the water, "first you made me leave when your dad came, second you made us pick you up at a different dock, now this? when are you gonna explain everything?!"

"you wouldn't fucking understand JJ!" i shot back 

"oh yeah? try me, because i'm 99.9% sure i've been through worse then you."

"wanna bet?" i asked he nodded

"10 bucks says i've had it worse." i told him, i could tell this was a bad idea but i was already in deep,

"pfft!" he said "what's happened to you? daddy din't buy you a new car? or someone didn't give you their undivided attention for a split second?" he asked me, 

"you wanna know what my dad does to me?" he asked

"no JJ." i mumbled

"he  hits me maddison. his own fucking kid. he fucking abuses me." he spat at me, and my breath hitched, here i was acting like a spoiled brat when hes probably dealt with 10 x worse in his lifetime,

"what, now you're quiet?" he asked

"here." i said taking out a ten dollar bill "just take it. you're right."

"ha!" he laughed sarcastically "i knew you were bluffing." i felt like i was gonna cry. i waited until the other pogues got back, scooting impossibly far away from jj. he sat in the back as they boarded the boat.

"uh, John B?" i asked

"yep?"

"can you drop me off?" i asked him, i saw jj give me a look of confusion and i let my glassy eyes explain as i held my shaking hands.

"huh?  yeah sure." he said and started driving us to my dock.

"ah shit."  said pope "i felt a drop." he informed us, holding out his hand

soon enough it was pouring and we had to dock at the closest place, which was thankfully the wreck, kiara's family restaurant, we all ran inside, soaked.

"hey can i use the bathroom?" i asked her immediately afraid of showing through my makeup,

"yeah, sure it's on your left at the end of the hallway." she told me,  i walked in and looked at my face in the mirror, sure enough the remains of a black eye was starting to show through my makeup, i quickly reapplied and walked out, i still felt like shit for lying to everyone but i needed to say goodbye before leaving.

"hey guys i think i'm gonna head home." i said

"no why?" said kiara "stay we can play games and drinkkkkk!!!" she slurred obviously already drunk,

"no thanks, i'll see you guys." i said walking out the door briskly, 

a/n: sorry this one is late but like i'm editing all of the chapters to make their relationship more slow-burn 

if ur reading this i luv u🤍