An Explanation

Miles glared at Gumshoe as he continued to argue with him. This argument wasn't productive in the slightest and it seemed that Miles was arguing for the sake of arguing.

"Why are you being so mean today sir?! Yeah, you usually are, but today you're worse than normal!" Gumshoe suddenly exclaimed.

Miles went quiet and clenched his jaw. Gumshoe was right. He was being an asshole for no reason. No reason to him at least.

"He didn't even call to explain what happened... Not last night or this morning," Miles said quietly. "I got worried about him so I called Ms. Fey and she said he didn't wish to speak with me. What did I do wrong?"

Gumshoe blinked a couple of times and furrowed his brows. "Are you talking about Mr. Wright?"

"It doesn't matter," Miles said quickly. "I'm just... more upset then usual. I seemed to have done something wrong and I've ended up hurting myself in the process."

"Don't worry pal! I do that all the time!" Gumshoe assures him with a grin. Miles wasn't as amused as he was.

Both of the men were silenced when the door to his office swung open and hit the wall. There was a sudden crack in the air and Gumshoe was scurrying behind Miles who seemed unfazed by everything. As soon as Franziska stepped into the room, Miles' thoughts of Phoenix and himself were gone. He was fully focused on his sister.

"Beat it Scruffy," she snapped, crossing her arms. "I have to speak with Miles alone."

Gumshoe didn't say another word as he quickly scrambled out of the room, closing the door firmly behind him. Silence filled the air as Franziska stared at Miles. It seemed like she was almost unsure of herself, but he would never tell her that.

"I'm going to testify," she said after a few seconds. She saw Miles' shocked expression and clenched her jaw.

"Are you sure? You don't have to if-"

"This man will not go free and we will make sure of that." She leveled a steady gaze on him before tossing her whip onto his desk. "You're going to need this. You already know why."

Miles couldn't say anything before she turned and left, nearly slamming the door behind her. He picked up her whip and looked at it for a moment before sighing.

"Thank you Fran..." he mumbled as he gently placed it back down. He slumped in his seat and looked at the ceiling, collecting his thoughts. Everything today was happening so fast and he needed a minute by himself to breath. He glanced at his phone and silently noted that Phoenix hadn't called or texted at all since the last time he checked.

'What the hell did I do?' He thought angrily. Phoenix could at least tell him what he did wrong so he could fix it. He deserved that at least, right? Great, now he had Franziska and Phoenix to worry about. Phoenix could wait. If he didn't want to talk then so be it.

"I won't play these foolish games." He's told himself this multiple times today, and yet he finds himself spiraling down what he could have possibly done wrong. And every time he couldn't think of anything. He was exhausted and his emotions were flipping on him every two seconds and nothing made sense anymore.

Miles didn't move when his office phone began to ring. He couldn't be bothered to answer it and he felt too drained to do anything but read over his case. He was just so tired and everything felt like it was crushing him. The phones rings only annoyed him more. He picked it up.

"Miles Edgeworth-"

"Phoenix Wright is down here and he wants to talk to you," Penny said. "I know you said no but he's refusing to leave and I'm not going to call security on him because-"

"Call security and get him out of the building. I don't wish to see him today just as he said he did not wish to speak with me earlier." Miles didn't think he could see Phoenix without snapping and begging him to tell him what's wrong. Silence stretched out and Miles became worried. "Hello?"

"He... he's on his way up." Penny hung up.

Miles dropped his phone and quickly stood up. He grabbed Franziska's whip and stuffed it in a desk drawer before closing it.

"Why won't he listen to anyone?" He grumbled as he tried to hide some things. He froze when the door opened before standing straight up. "Wright."

"Miles, I-"

"You aren't supposed to be here," Miles said coolly. He was hiding how hurt he was by everything.

"I wanted to talk-"

"No, you don't. I was told so earlier when I called. I thank you for that, by the way. It was refreshing to hear it from you," He said sarcastically. Miles' expression changed and he looked away. "I just... I just wanted know what I did wrong..."

"You haven't done anything wrong, Miles!" Phoenix said with surprise.

"Then why the hell didn't you come last night like you said you would?!" He snapped. "I had to have done something! I waited until midnight to finally give up on you! You didn't call or text and I thought that maybe you had been hurt so I called you only to hear that you didn't want to talk to me! I... I had been so... happy that you were coming over to eat and speak with me."

Phoenix stares at him for a few seconds before sighing. "I didn't know I had hurt you so much... You didn't do anything wrong and I ended up hurting you. I swear I didn't mean to. What happened was... I... I decided to not go."

"Then why the hell didn't you call and tell me? A text would have done the job." Miles was harsh. He was pissed. "You have no excuse or reason to have not told me you weren't coming! You had hours to tell me!"

"It slipped my mind, okay?!" Phoenix bit his tongue as Miles stopped. He wasn't being entirely honest with him, but Phoenix couldn't tell him the truth. "I don't even want to be here right now! Maya made me come and talk to you-"

"Hello, this is Miles Edgeworth...."

"Did you just answer your phone while I was talking to you?" He asked angrily.

"Ah, Ms. Fey. Yes, Wright is with me- you didn't know where he was?" Miles turned to look at him. "He just left without telling you? He seems to have a problem with telling people things... Of course I will. Goodbye and have a lovely evening." He hung up and put his phone to the side.

Miles didn't drop his gaze as Phoenix began to clam up. "I want an explanation that isn't full of lies, Wright. I deserve to know."