A Foolish Fool

Franziska crossed her arms impatiently as she watched her brother scribble things down on a piece of paper. They hadn't spoken to each other since she had gotten back from the beach. Even though she had told the Feys to not tell Miles she had been at the beach, he still found out. They had thought she had meant in the country, but of course he knew that. He had been the one to pick her up from the airport. She hadn't wanted him to know she had gone to the beach.

Miles had seen a small drawing of a woman in one of the pictures at Wright's office. The only reason he knew it was her was because of the whip in her hand. Who else carries around a whip? And they were standing on a beach. Of course he'd figure it out. He wasn't an idiot.

She gripped her arm as slight annoyance set in with each scratch on the paper. Did he know he was ignoring her? Was he aware that she was in his office?

"Franziska, I promise that I will get him a guilty verdict." He was quiet as he spoke and he refused to lift his head. He had stopped writing.

Fanziska stopped and stared at him for a few seconds. She narrowed her eyes at him and straightened her back.

"Good. But don't think I don't know what you're doing, Miles Edgeworth." She said.

"Ah, do inform me of what I'm trying to do that's so wrong," he lifted his head. "I'm trying to give this man what he deserves. For everyone he hurt-"

"Don't act like a fool. Phoenix Wright has evidence of his alibis." She said, leaning to the side slightly.

"And what he doesn't realize is that I know the truth. If you would just-"

"That is enough. I will not listen to anymore foolish rambling from a fool." She snapped at him.

"I know it must be difficult, but you could help-"

"I don't want to talk about it."

Miles went quiet after she said that. He slowly nods.

"I understand... I'm sorry for trying to force you into something that you do not wish to be a part of." He said quietly.

Miles looked at her and saw that she was looking away. Her eyes were squeezed shut and it seemed as if she was holding back tears. His heart ached at the sight. He quickly stood up and walked over to her.

"Fran... He's going to be declared guilty. I promise... It'll be a perfect trial." He said quietly.

She looked at him and wiped her tears away quickly.

"I hope it will be... Give that man what he deserves and don't settle for any less." She said sharply.

"Of course... Fran, would you like to stay for tea? I'd love to hear about your trip to the beach. I'm glad you were able to get out and do something." He smiled at her.

Franziska looked a little surprised before she smiled widely and nodded. She had expected him to be angry at her for not telling him.

"So, Miles Edgeworth, You've been writing a lot of letters to me lately. Have you missed me that much? I may have to stay a while longer if that's the case. I can't go breaking my little brothers fragile heart." She sat down and grinned when he rolled his eyes.

"I write to you so I can keep you updated with what is going on... and if I may admit... I do miss my sister from time to time. Who else is around to call me a fool while looking at art?" He asked jokingly. "I'm no fool, Franziska, but I can appreciate the art of one."

"That makes you just as foolish as the artist." She said as he poured her tea. She thanked him as she took the tea cup out of his hands.

"Ah, but does it truly? The work of a fool is amusing to even the most uptight people around. Even they can appreciate when a fool makes art." He sipped his tea and watched her for a moment.