Look At The Evidence

'It's not that hard... Just call him... Say you want to look over a case with him- no... That'd be idiotic. Especially after pushing him away last time...'

Miles stared at his phone as he thought. He was trying to come up with an excuse to ask Phoenix Wright to come by his office. He had been sitting there staring for a good five minutes now. He didn't know if Phoenix even wanted to talk to him after their last talk. It hadn't gone down too well.

That was it.

That's why Miles needed Phoenix to come by so badly. He wanted to talk to him. He wanted to say sorry. The word 'sorry' didn't exactly come by Miles often so he felt as if he needed an excuse to get Phoenix over to apologize.

Or it could be his sinking fear that Phoenix didn't want to forgive him.

Their argument had been small but that's all it took to tear everything down. Neither of them have been themselves lately and their current case seemed to be making everything worse.

"He isn't guilty Edgeworth," Phoenix insisted. He was getting increasingly annoyed with the prosecutor. "Look at the evidence- it's obvious!"

They had been arguing for a solid thirty minutes now. Phoenix was refusing to try and listen to some of Miles' reasoning and it was clear to the defense attorney that his friend had a conflict of interest with the accused. It shouldn't have been allowed but there had been strings pulled.

"You're wrong. He isn't innocent. He CAN'T be... Are we sure we're looking at the same evidence?" Miles asked half jokingly. Apparently that had been the wrong thing to do. To Phoenix it seemed like he wasn't taking this seriously.

"I don't know, ARE we? I never know with you," he snapped.

Miles seemed to freeze for a split second before he set a steely glare on Phoenix.

"Pardon me?" Slight anger slipped into his voice. "Are you accusing me of keeping evidence from you?"

"It wouldn't be the first time, would it? No offense but you tend to do that shit a lot," Phoenix huffed.

"It's part of my job, Wright. I cannot just go handing people evidence without thoroughly looking at it with police." Miles said sternly. "You always have everything by this stage in the investigation anyways. I know because I make sure you get it."

"I can't believe you. How can you say I'm accusing you of something and then turn around and admit to it?" Phoenix asked annoyed.

"You're twisting my words, Wright."

"I am? How so? Hmm Edgeworth?"

"You aren't acting like yourself. Go home and rest and we can continue our conversation tomorrow." Miles said, not answering any of Phoenix's questions.

"Stop avoiding my questions! I'm sick and tired of you beating around the bush-"

"And I am sick and tired of your yelling and whining but I've been sitting here through it for the past four hours." Miles snapped.

'...You aren't acting like yourself and it worries me.'

"MY whining?! You've done nothing but complain about this case. Why are you so sure my client is guilty?" Phoenix asked with a renewed anger.

Miles couldn't answer that.

His face went blank and he looked at his desk. He was hiding something. He had to change the subject and get Phoenix out. He needed to look over everything he knew alone.