Ten

Ten days until the trial. Ten days until Ron O'Weigh's fate is decided.

Pressure was piling on Miles with each second closer and closer to the day. He couldn't stop working for even a moment if he was going to win this case. It had to be flawless. It had to be perfect.

He hadn't been getting much sleep lately and he had completely given up going on walks. He didn't want a repeat of what happened last time. Miles knew that Phoenix was worried about him, but he didn't have time to dwell on that fact. He had a criminal to put in prison.

Ms. Fey had been so kind to him earlier, but he had to refuse her offer to go and eat with her and Phoenix. There was just too much to do and so much to memorize. He didn't understand how Phoenix could just 'take a break' while working on cases like this. It wasn't how he processed things. He couldn't process things like that.

Miles sighed and shook his head as he continued to scribble on paper, hoping he'd be able to submit one more piece of evidence.

———

Ron huffed angrily as he paced in his cell, waiting for his defense attorney to come and talk to him. He was getting impatient and angry. He was not going to go down for this.

His defense lawyer wasn't as good as Phoenix Wright, but he'd have to do. He couldn't believe this was happening. How dare Miles Edgeworth encourage everyone to turn against him. He was their senior. He was meant to be respected. Not some posh asshole who uses to much hair gel in the morning. What a bitch.

Ron snapped his head to the door when an officer entered and stood in front of his cell.

"Your attorney is here."

———

Phoenix ignored Maya's unstoppable rambles as he tried to focus on everything except the trial coming up in ten days. He couldn't think about it without feeling nerves tear him up inside. He knew Miles could do it, but O'Weigh was a mass manipulator. He could bend anyone to his will if they weren't level headed enough, and, to their disadvantage, the judge wasn't exactly level headed.

"... and then Gumshoe called back and said 'Heya, pal! I just got done cleanin' my guns!' And I said 'You don't have a gun right now! You had it taken away!' And he said, 'Who said anything about metal guns? I know you can't see me, but I'm flexing pal.' And it was so funny- Nick? Are you even listening?" Maya narrowed her eyes and her shoulders slumped.

"Huh? Oh- yeah, sorry," he mumbled awkwardly. He looked at her and gave her a lopsided smile before rubbing his neck. "Just got distracted there for a sec."

"The case will be fine!" Maya stated as if she was reading his mind. "Edgeworth is gonna stick it to em and give him what he deserves!"

"I'm just worried," Phoenix admitted. "I know he's got everything he needs..."

"...But?" Maya urged with a raised brow.

"But what if it isn't enough?" He asked with a small huff. He felt guilty for doubting Miles, but he couldn't help but worry. "He was in the hospital for some of his prep time and has been jumped and robbed multiple times by guys hired by-"

"He was WHAT?!" Maya didn't care that she had practically screamed in his ear. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"He was embarrassed! The only other person who knows is Franziska," Phoenix rushed as he realized he had just broken Miles' trust. "Don't tell anyone. Please."

"I won't, but gosh! That's horrible! I just can't believe that someone would- they have some guts."

"Maya!" Phoenix scolded.

"What? You have to admit it's pretty brave to send someone after him. He is Edgeworth, after all. Well, brave or stupid. Probably stupid..." She mumbled the last part to herself before looking back at Phoenix with bright eyes. "I wouldn't worry about it! Again, it's Edgeworth."

That's why I'm so worried...

Phoenix shook the thought from his head. He knew how the other man could get. He would push down all of his feelings until either him or Franziska pushed it out of him in an explosion of anger.

Phoenix was helping Miles get set up with a therapist.

"I guess you're right..."

"Of course I am. I'm always right," Maya said with a laugh.

Phoenix just rolled his eyes before looking back down at his desk. Papers that he was supposed to have done hours ago were still sitting there with nothing on them. He had so much work to do. How could he do any of it when he was so worried about Miles? He knew Miles could handle himself, but that didn't mean he wasn't allowed to worry.

God, this was hell.