34•Hemmings, Luke Hemmings

The boys eminently rush in when they hear the words fall from my mouth.
I stare at her.
She looks like a shell of who I once knew. It's been four years but she looks as though she's aged 14 years. Her hair is short and thin, she's lost weight, and I can practically smell the alcohol off her.

"What the hall are you doing here?!" Luke asks from behind me, putting a protective hand on my shoulder. I wonder if she knows just who Luke is, and how much she's altered his life.
How much she's altered my life.

She ignores everyone else. "Lillian, let me explain-"
"No." I say sternly taking a step back bumping into Luke's chest, he then takes me and pushes me behind him. The boys stare, unaware of what they should do.
"Lil they are lying to you! I didn't-"
"Get out" I say as firm as possible.
"I didn't switch you, Lilian! The hospital did! It was their fault! Don't you see we can sue for millions!"

"If you didn't do anything then why are you running away from the government?!" Luke asks.
"This is none of your business"
She snaps turning around to look at him.
"maybe I didn't introduce myself clear enough earlier. Luke Hemmings, Hemmings as in the family you stole from" He says calmly, emphasis on his last name. "And it most certainly is my business." He finishes.

Her face changes. "I told you, I didn't know anything about this! I didn't switch your twin!" She says to him.
"Lillian you believe me, don't you. I'm your mother. These people can't love you like I do!"
"I think it's time for you to leave. We're not going to help someone hide from the law" Michael says pointing to the door.
"Leave or we'll call the cops" Ashton finally speaks.
"Lil" she whispers looking at me.
She stares in my eyes and I don't know who she is anymore. I don't even know what to believe.
Could she be right? But what about the letter?
The letter.
So much races through my mind and before I know it Luke is yelling "she's going to black out!" and I notice my breathing and I think he's right. Ashton quickly picks me up bridal style before everything goes black.

——-
"Hey" i hear fluttering my eyes open.
I see Luke sitting on the edge of my bed.
A hospital bed.
I quickly sit up and Luke pushes me back down. "Hey hey take it easy" I sit back and look around the small dull beige room.

"Oh thank goodness" Liz rushes to my side and kisses my forehead.
"I'll go get the doctor" She says and exits the room.

I close my eyes and let out a deep breath in annoyance.
"Why am I in the hospital, Luke?" I ask as I hear the light sound of a tv and buzz of a monitor.
"I didn't know what to do. You were passed out for hours. I was worried." He whispers the last part. His voice is horse and cracks. Has he been crying?
"But now you made liz worry." I mumble.
He shakes his head "stop that" he just says.

Despite me blacking out, I unfortunately remember everything.
I shoot up again but don't make it far being being pushed down again. "What about my mom?"
I ask, feeling weird now to call her mom.
"Don't worry about it" he says putting a hand on my shoulder.
"But-"
"It's handled. You have got to keep your mind away from stress. I swear no one will ever touch you. Especially not her."
He says moving a piece of my hair.
"How are you feeling?" He continues.
"Like I shouldn't be here" I state.

His face falls and he closes his eyes.
"I know. Please don't be upset at me for this. I was just looking out for you. I can't have you being mad at me for two things" he says in a desperate, vulnerable tone looking away. I see tears threaten to form in his eyes.
He lays down beside me. "I can't lose you too. Not again." He whispers so I can barely hear.

"I could never be upset at you, Luke." I say grabbing his arm.
He looks up at me not sure what to say or think. I smile and then he smiles in return.
"Are we okay?" He asks quietly.
I nod.
"I talked to Liz for a long time today. I realized I had been hard on you and...I feel really bad. I was being unfair. I'm sorry."
He sits up, kisses my forehead, then lays back down where he was before.

"It's crazy, isn't it? That in this very building we were switched." I say after a short silence.
"It gets me so angry, I try not to think about it." He simply responds.

"Luke?" "Hmm"
"I'm sorry. For everything. I really am. I'm not mad at you. I love you"
"I love you too"

We go home and it's around 3am. I let out a sigh coming to the door. "I know, long day." Luke sympathises. Luke and I quietly walk upstairs. He hugs me outside of my door.
"Get some rest, you need it."
"You too" I mumble and he starts off to his bedroom.
"Luke?" I call out as he reaches his door. "Thank you. For uh taking me to the hospital" I say awkwardly. He smiles "of course."