CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Lucca is on the floor again. His knee hurts. The family Healer said it was broken and he should be careful with it if he wants to play Quidditch. Right now, though, Lucca isn't interested in Quidditch. Right now, Lucca is under attack.

He has to stand up, roll to the other side, grab his wand and curse the man. He finds it hard to breathe, the air is too dense and his body is heavy. He is wasting time.

Lucca extends his hand and seizes William's ankle, taking him off guard. At the sudden move, William points his wand at his son, yet Lucca rolls on his back, kicks William's free leg and retreats.

A loud thud echoes in the room. Lucca stands up, looking how his father doesn't move. Panic arises. He didn't hurt him, right?

Preston frowns, disapprovingly. "Don't feel bad."

Lucca glances to see him. The second he doesn't look, William kicks his ribs with his knee. Lucca gasps for air.

"Don't get distracted."

Lucca blocks the second kick with his hands. He hisses. William smiles. Too, late, he kicks Lucca again, Lucca blocks, again and again. The fifth time, Lucca's body can bear any more the pain. He gives up.

"Time?" Lucca asks from the floor.

"Eleven minutes," Milan answers, scribbling down. "Better than the last one."

"Not enough," says William and Lucca stands up, ignoring his hand. "Aurors are required to have strength aside from powerful magic."

"It's my knee," Lucca says. "It hurts."

"It wouldn't hurt if you followed the Healers instructions," says Preston. "Have you been taking your medicine?"

Lucca doesn't answer him. Of course he has. He has been taking his medicine, he has been following Pandora's strict diet and he has been doing the exercises. It is not a problem for Lucca, he has always been good at any kind of sport or physical discipline.

Milan, on the other hand, doesn't run with the same luck.

"Milan, your turn," says William. "Quick."

Lucca takes the clipboard and sees the grandfather-clock to note down the time. Milan has been shaking a lot lately, anxious and frighten, she doesn't wear the same confidence like a second skin. Lucca almost feels guilty for finally finding her weakness, Milan is useless in physical fights or anything that involves moving too much. And it is an actual shame. Milan is taller than most girls, she has long legs and bigger hands, yet her movements are graceful, like a cat, and fast. The problem is that she has slow reaction and is too scared to hurt someone.

"Don't bend your knee like that," Preston corrects. A white light emerges from the tip of his wand, it hits Milan on the back of her leg, causing her to fall. "You are not dancing, Milan. Put some weight on your base and kick. Harder."

He watches how she stands up, grabs William's wrist and yanks him until her knee impacts in his stomach. William is not a man who has mercy and easily lifts her up and tosses her body aside.

Preston huffs, another sting jinx in her bag and she falls again. "Bang, you're dead. Focus, Milan."

Lucca notes down at what his grandfather says and checks the clock again, three minutes passed and Milan fell twice.

Milan's legs shake as she stands up, fists in front of her face. William tilts his head, moves his wrist and Milan falls on her knees. Leg locker curse. A classic. Milan growls, her competitive side shining and muttering the counter-curse. She looks at William for a second. William seems to be expecting an attack because he raises a sudden shield in front of him, not seeing one of the vases near fly behind him and hit him on his back. He falls forwards, hitting his own shield with his face.