CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

Poppy Pomfrey's scowl is the first thing Lucca sees when he wakes up. The world is spinning, there is metallic taste in his tongue and his whole body feels stiff and heavy. He blinks into the light and allows Poppy to finish her diagnosing charms.

"I was hoping to not see you unless it is for the healing course lessons," she says, fussing over him. "But, of course, you play such reckless dangerous sport — broken ribs! Almost lost a lung!"

Lucca grins, still drowsy from the potions, and asks. "Did Ravenclaw win?"

"Ah," Poppy clicks her tongue annoyed, "I won't worry there is a concussion, then."

Without telling Lucca the results, she just shoves a new pain killer draught down his throat. Immediately, he drifts back to sleep, thinking it may have just been a dream.

By the time he wakes up again, Poppy isn't hovering. But there is a dim light illuminating on his left side. Lucca stirs and when he tries to stretch his arms, an uncomfortable sensation invades his side and lower back.

"Poppy says it will be weird until the potion finishes it effect," says a voice on his left.

Lucca flushes a bit when he spots Harry sitting next to him. It must be late at night. Harry is wearing a knitted sweater (one of classic Weasley's sweater Lucca sometimes steals from him) and pyjamas, he looks tired but very much awake. On his lap he has his copy of Advance Potion Making, probably finishing or staring their last assignment, or just going over again the spells written.

"What are you doing here?" Lucca asks. "What time is it?"

Harry casts a quick tempus, showing it is past three in the morning.

"I couldn't sleep and I was worried," Harry says. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel like I have dragged through hell," Lucca mumbles. "But I'm alright. Just... I have this bad taste in my mouth from the potion."

"Skele-Go is the worst," Harry gives him a half-smile as he passes him a glass of water. Lucca accepts it and asks for his wand, Harry hands it. With a quick cleaning charm on his mouth, Lucca sighs contently. He looks at his boyfriend with a cheeky smile, tiredness already disappeared from his body.

"Hiya, Pretty Boy."

Harry scoffs, leaving his book behind, and moves to sit at the edge of the bed. He tenderly brushes Lucca's fringe, an uncertain look in his eyes. Lucca sighs, closing his eyes for a moment, and allows the silence to settle in. It must be early, Lucca doesn't want to know what time it really is, but Harry looks restless, as if he hasn't had a proper sleep.

"Stop worrying, Harry," Lucca says calmly. "It's just another Quidditch injury. Not the first time I've been hurt while playing."

"I know but it's a bugger you have missed your birthday party."

"What? They still had a party without me?" Lucca pouts. "It's not fair."

Harry chuckles, "it was boring, actually — no, I didn't go but Ron told me."

"Traitor."

"There wasn't cake," Harry reassures. "Terry didn't let anyone eat or blow the candles."

"I like blowing the candles," Lucca mumbles. "And blowing other stuff."

Harry's cheek gain colour but he manages to laugh. "Not the time, love. Maybe when you aren't drugged with potions."

Lucca wants to clarify he isn't drugged at all, just sleepy. He tugs his boyfriend's hand until bends down, letting Lucca wrap his arms around him. Carefully, he makes room and Harry ends up curled on his side in the small hospital bed. Head hiding in Lucca's shoulder, Harry breaths deeply as Lucca strokes his tangled unruly hair. He likes it this way, having Harry in his arms, knowing he is safe.