CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

AURORA

In her eighteen years of life, catching the golden snitch within fifteen minutes into the game would leave a sour taste in her mouth. It flutters and fights for an escape, Aurora has to grit her teeth to remain silent. There are more important things to focus on. Her eleven year old self, too vicious and competitive would never have imagined her version in her teens has other problems than Quidditch and finding the perfect ink for her diary.

But that is how life works, isn't it?

One day, the pitch is the personification of a battle field, two rivals, one goal, a winner and a loser. Then, in the blink of an eye, the scenery dissolves into chaos and destruction and death. She sees it now. Up in the sky, soaring against the sun, she watches a massacre take the bigger course, a mass of furious warriors lead by their revolutionary and outraged general, not questioning the instructions, not stopping to think who is in the other side. It sounds almost as if they are not even playing a game.

Lucca's fury is unlashed at every toss and kick. His shoulders are tense, his sight is set and his jaw is clenched, probably holding back any clever insults that will earn him a penalty. This is not the first time Aurora has seen Lucca angry yet this sort of anger is difficult to understand due the cause of it. Anyone who has seen Lucca upset would think the breakup would have him sobbing and wailing like a baby, waiting for things to mend back together. But, and here is when Aurora noticed something was beyond odd, it was Lucca who dumped Potter. Harry Potter, someone Aurora does not like yet she has learned to appreciate his qualities, has simply walked away and accepted the defeat. This defeat being Lucca moving to another relationship with Kyle Berbamn, another disappointment of a Hufflepuff, a troublemaker and an enigma Aurora hasn't got the time to decipher.

Aurora is not one to sit down and mind her own business. Her Auntie often says her nosiness will lead her into more trouble than answers. Bad thing to say to a stubborn Sagittarius seventeen year old girl, whose best friend is the biggest mystery she ever encountered and hell, Aurora does love mystery.

And she loves Lucca. As a brother, of course. Aurora isn't sexually interested in Lucca or in boys, and if that doesn't hint she is pretty much a lesbian (as Daphne enlightened after a mind-blowing snog session in the broomsticks cupboard), it would be anyone else's problem to not see Aurora is into girls.

That was not the point.

Aurora has the snitch hidden in her hand, the game is still being played and Ginny Weasley seems to be waiting the right moment to push her off her broom.

"Are you waiting for a big difference in scores to humiliate Gryffindor more?" she says, brown eyes fiercely staring down at her. "Well? Is this your revenge for last year?"

Aurora has pushed the memories of Ginny Weasley under the mistletoe completely this past weeks. Daphne is excellent at making her forget unwanted things. And it is a burden to her that Ginny is at constant sight, up for a fight, ready to destroy Aurora's schemes with her devilish smile and cute freckles and beautiful hair.

"Why aren't you announcing your loss?" she asks in return.

"You're up to something."

Aurora snorts. "Is that the only excuse you Gryffindors know? 'Up to something'. You see, Weasley, people have lives and they do stuff in their lives —"

"Stop treating me like an idiot, Aurora."

"I am not doing such a thing."

"Yes. You always want to feel superior enunciating words and doing that thing with your brow —"