CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Lucca shivers as he sits down next to Milan. It's late at night and they are supposed to be asleep as they have to return to Hogwarts in the morning, but before Venice leaves for London to continue her training, Milan insists on spending time together.

"Why not inside?" Lucca stutters, his own hands feeling colder and colder by the snow falling over the gazebo. "I understand you don't feel the change of temperatures but it's snowing, Milan. Surely, that tells you something."

"Don't be such a baby," Milan laughs, casting more heating charms around the wooden structure, "there, there. Feel the difference yet?"

Lucca sighs when the warmness surrounds him and nods, content.

"Yes, thank you."

"Oh, look at you," Venice beams at him, "dating Harry softened you a little bit, did it not?"

Lucca pretends his cheeks aren't heating up at the mention of Harry, he proceeds to grab one of the mugs Venice is levitating. His sisters, seeing his face, continue their teasing a bit more. Lucca allows it because he likes the idea of Venice and Milan approving Harry when Pandora said (more like ordered him) that he should break up with him.

Lately, with all the events unfolding in the Sallow household, Lucca has been anxiously waiting for their return to Hogwarts. He doesn't know what will happen then, Lucca isn't capable of leaving Harry, but maybe Harry can break up with him if Lucca gives him enough reasons. But Lucca, who has always been terrified of Pandora, more than ever is sure to go against his grandmother's wishes. Lucca is happy, Harry makes him happy.

"Pandora wants me to break up with Harry," Lucca blunts, interrupting his sisters' conversation. "That's why she introduced me to Alexis."

"Was there a punishment?" Milan asks calmly.

"Yes."

"That's very brave of you," Venice mutters and hugs him by his shoulders. "Good thing to know: you can't get married until you're of age. But once you are of age, you can leave."

Lucca frowns, is Venice implying they should run away?

"What?"

Venice shrugs, exchanging a look with Milan. Then, Milan nods, smiling.

"The idea sort of came up," Venice says. "We know Mum won't leave Dad. But we can cut connections with Pandora and Preston."

"We can even move to Argentina," Milan adds. "Away from them."

"But... What about Mum?"

Milan shakes her head, saying. "Oh, Lu. You know very well how lovesick Mum is for Dad. She won't leave him so easily."

"But Celia left Remus and she loves him," Lucca says.

"I doubt she will last very much away from him," Venice utters, frowning. "I read one of Aunt Fiona's books where it said love is the most complex form of magic. It's a kind of energy almost impossible to defeat. And those who love unconditionally, undyingly, endlessly, are more likely to die because of a broken heart."

"You mean literally...?"

"It's a sickness," says Milan. "It only affects wizards and witches because, well, our magic relies on our emotions a lot to perform magic."

"Are you serious?"

"The Department of Mysteries has a Love Room," Venice says. "Tonks told me about it. So yes, the study of love is a real thing. Which leaves me to the theory Mum is hiding her own heart break from us. Her love for Dad kills her insides, it's too strong and eternal."