Chapter Thirty-Seven

'Oh, you can turn me down, you can throw me now
The harder out, the harder I come back around
You can break my heart but you can't scratch my name
I can take the hit cause I'm a boomerang'

'Oh, you can turn me down, you can throw me nowThe harder out, the harder I come back aroundYou can break my heart but you can't scratch my nameI can take the hit cause I'm a boomerang'

I didn't recall sleeping. All I knew from the moment I was in the land of the living after the crash, was a plain white wall that stared at me, allowing my mind to dive into hyperdrive. I ached from the hit I took, and my limbs felt tight with fatigue, but I was running miles in my head, too much to be able to rest. So, instead, I overthought until eventually it was time to get up.

I didn't stop then, I merely changed positions. Now, it was me staring blankly at the wall, sat at the edge of the bed in the bedroom I usually accompanied at the boarding house. All that replayed on a loop was my sisters voice, I couldn't let you come with me, until my fingernails were pinching so hard into my palms that they drew blood. It was an echo in my brain, haunting me with its resonance, clawing at my heart with bony fingers to make sure I would keep feeling the tug of utter sadness. I couldn't begin to be angry at Aura, not even close, all I wanted was her back with me- safe.

Lost in my thoughts, I barely noticed the door open, and a hot mug being pushed into my hands. The bed dipped next to me, and only when skin made contact with my knee did I pull myself out of the seemingly never-ending trance.

I couldn't even bring myself to smile at Stefan. He knew it. Grabbing my head, he guided it into the crevice between his neck and his shoulder, placing his head atop of mine. Without a word, he soothingly stroked my hair. I hadn't got it in me to cry anymore tears, but the position we were in made me comfortable enough if that was what I wanted to do; it was a safe space to let out my emotions.

It almost made me question his humanity with how he was acting, if I wasn't in such a tunnel vision state.

The man was frustrating to say the least, continuously jumbling my feelings for him. One minute I would tell myself he was just a passing crush, the next he would do something like this and bring me falling into him, wrapping me deeper into crashing head over heals. He was always there, making my mood positively better; a constant in my life that I'd never truly had. But it was unrequited, and we were friends, it couldn't be anything more than a small crush.

Even if I had a past with him that scaled all the way back to 1863 contradicting otherwise.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Stefan spoke into my hair. I shook my head, no, staying quiet. "You don't have to come with us today, you know."

I shook my head again. "I feel useless as it is, not being able to leave to get Aura," I lifted my head off of him, meeting his eyes. "At least this way I can feel like I'm doing something useful."

"Whatever you wanna do," He states softly.

I gave him a once over. "What's going on with you? I thought that you didn't care. You have no humanity..."