Chapter Thirty-Six

'I don't wanna live forever, cause I know I'll be living in vain
And I don't wanna fit wherever
I just wanna keep calling your name until you come back home'

'I don't wanna live forever, cause I know I'll be living in vainAnd I don't wanna fit whereverI just wanna keep calling your name until you come back home'

Chapter 36

Ziggy's POV:

A horrifying shrill scream shook the house and startled me awake at the windy hours of the morning. My eyelids had jolted open, covers thrown off of me in a hurry as I blurred from my room to the sharp sound that rung down the hallway upstairs. I'd caught the time, and it blinked 5:03 at me with a harsh glare, setting dread in my chest.

Was this one of my strange dreams again?

Pushing the door to the room Aura was staying in open, her body writhed on the bed, shouts escaping her lips in what seemed like panic. She was muttering, over and over, please don't take them. The scene was enough to make nausea creep up on me, wasting no time in flashing to her side to shake her awake.

She had woken the minute I touched her shoulder, a part of the nasty nightmare she was experiencing transferring to me with the touch. It made my lips part in bewilderment, the feeling of it actually happening taking over without consent. I saw us, my sisters, my family, being pulled apart how we had been in the past. Only, this time, it was to four separate corners of a pentagram, while all our power was drained from us, travelling through cracks in the floor to the fifth point. We had been dying.

The images faded into nothing when I retracted my hand. Her wide silver eyes stared scared for a moment before she wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me to her tightly, grasping on as if she never wanted to let go. I returned the affection without a word.

The silence broke with her voice. "I can't stay here. I need to know they're okay."

And I understood. "I'm coming with you."

"No," she immediately shook her head, staring at me with an intensity that would have terrified me had she not been my sister who I love dearly. "Tana, you've only just got your freedom. And you're my little sister, I won't let you walk into danger like that."

"Exactly," I stressed. "I'm your sister. We're family. And we're in this together, Aura. If you go, then so do I."

She sighed, glancing at the clock briefly. "We shouldn't talk about this now," She let go of the embrace, but pressed a kiss to my head as she always would when we were younger. "Go get some sleep. I'm sorry for waking you."

"Don't be sorry," I frowned. "Will you be okay alone?"

She nodded wordlessly and I swallowed before leaving the room, closing the door and finally lifting a hand to my mouth to muffle any pained sob that was trying to leave. I'd been trying to ignore this, my jiggered past that was adamant on catching up to me, but the inevitable was just that - inevitable. And that dream, a vision, something that had never happened in all my years of run, ceremony to recharge power, erase memory, left me with nothing but a swirling storm of sickness looming over my head. Because I had no idea what it meant, and that scared me more than anything.