Chapter Twenty-Three

'So I drown it out like I always do
Dancing through our house
With the ghost of you'

'So I drown it out like I always doDancing through our houseWith the ghost of you'

Chapter 23

Ziggy's POV:

I gripped Hesper to me in a side hug as we walked over to my car parked ahead of us, at the tree line where we left it. I'd managed to keep composed given the situation, comforting my best friend as much as I could. I had to be strong, for the both of us, the sadness could come later.

Opening the car door, I gently put the still crying girl into the passenger seat, shutting the door and flashing to the other side. My mentality was that I needed to be with her every second, spend as much time with her I could get because it could be the last time I see her. Squeezing her hand, I analyzed her features, trying to imprint them into my brain so I would never forget them.

Her sobs had silenced now, only clear liquid drops were the remains of her distress. The view made sickness protrude in the pit of my stomach and rise up my body in the form of a lump in my throat. I swallowed it down, turning the key in the ignition with the hand that wasn't holding Hesper's. Be brave

"What about the others?" She meekly asked.

I looked ahead at the road, setting off back to our house. "They're not really my first priority at the moment. They'll be fine."

Nodding, she cleared her throat, wiping under her eyes with the pad of her fingers, seemingly erasing any trace of her upset. The car ride home was silent, with Hesper holding my hand until we'd parked outside the 3 bedroom building. We both exited the car, stalking up the stairs to the vampires room, almost robotically. I still couldn't believe this had happened. I think it hadn't fully sunk in yet.

Hesper sat on her bed, taking off her jacket to reveal the bite wound. I tore my eyes off it, refusing to look. "You should go help the others."

I stared at her in astonishment but she didn't match it, eyes void of emotion and staring at the floor. "I am not leaving you. Are you crazy?" I tried to contain the volume in my voice.

"They need you, Ziggy."

"You need me now," tears threatened to brim my eyes. "I'm not leaving until I've fixed this," I started pacing the room, thinking of what to do. "I need to fix this. I can do something. This isn't real." I repeated to myself over and over, pulling at my hair in a frenzy. I only stopped when Hesper was stood in front of me, gripping my shoulders. She still had glossy eyes from her tears.

"Ziggy, you can't fix this!" She shouted and I halted my movements.

"I have to try," I breathed. "Maybe I could use magic to try pull the venom out, it could work-"

"It could, for someone who's magic is working," a single tear fell from her eye. "But yours isn't. I'll only last a day, there's not enough time. I've thought of everything. There is no cure that can fix this. I'm going to die."