Chapter Sixteen

'I'm jealous
I'm overzealous'

Chapter 16

Ziggy's POV:

I knock on the white coloured door to Hesper's room, pushing my head closer to it in an attempt to see if I could hear her inside (presumably still asleep at this time). I'd been around at Caroline's until late last night, mostly to try cheer her up after all that had happened with the wolves, something I was definitely going to retaliate to if they were still in the clearing and hadn't left town yet. After watching movies and gossiping with the girls, instead of spending the night, I'd decided it was best for me to come back and spend some time with Hesper as it had been a while since I last had. I blamed this crazy town, and the attachment I was rapidly having towards it and its residents. Honestly, I swear it has some kind of charm in doing that to whoever steps foot in Mystic Falls. Regardless, I had made a promise to myself last night to wake up and get on with one of the original reasons I was here; finding the witch burial ground and trying to work out what happened to my mother.

Upon not hearing any noise coming from the room, I creaked the door open and peaked inside to see the bedroom completely immaculate. The bed was tidily made, with the yellow cushions set atop it nicely as if it was some show home. My eyebrows furrowed at the examination before a clatter sounded from downstairs.

"Hesper?" I called, descending the stairs cautiously and getting ready to use magic if it were an intruder. Instead, once I'd reached the bottom floor, through the hallway Hesper's body emerged.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," she smiled, waving the spatula in her hand around. Now that I was downstairs, I could distinctly smell the scent of bacon. "Do you want some breakfast?" She walked back into the kitchen to continue cooking.

"You should know by now that nothing scares me," I joked, advancing forward and leaning on the island to watch her flip a pancake. "What're you doing up so early anyway?" My eyes raked over her and the room, and that's when I noticed the suitcase propped up by the table I leaned on lazily. Brows creased, I stared at her. "Are you cooking my favourite breakfast because you're leaving?"

"Listen, don't get angry, it's only for a couple days. I have something I need to take care of," I tried to read her as she spoke, mildly containing my anger that she was leaving so suddenly. Something seemed off about it, but she knew she could always come to me if she ever had problems, so it made no sense for her to leave me about of the loop. It also didn't make sense to stop her going, either, it's not as if we'd be spending loads of time together anyway.

"Is there something I need to be worried about, Hesp?" I questioned lightly.

"No, it's not like that, Ziggy. It may not even be that serious," she placed a plate of pancakes with bacon in front of me. Smiling in thanks, I stayed quiet for her to continue. "It's just something I need to do on my own. I'll be a few days, tops."

I nodded at her, picking up the fork she placed by my hand. "Okay, okay. Just call me if you have any problems," I tried to mask my frown, deciding to change the subject. "Well, I'm heading out to see Damon and to look if that werewolf b!tch has left yet, so if you're leaving soon I think a hug is in order," she grinned but it seemed forced, wrapping her arms around me from behind as I shoved a forkful of food in my mouth.

"Miss you already," she winked, blowing a kiss as she continued cooking.

. . . . .

I bumped into Alaric on the way into the boarding house, smiling at his presence. Though, technically speaking, I should dislike him because of his side-job, he was actually cool. And a plus, he was fun to torment Damon with. Bumping his shoulder, I spoke, "Well, hello, Buffy."