forty six

Harry woke up to the sun on his face and a weight on his chest. It took him a moment to remember the night before, but he was grateful that Louis was still asleep on top of him. Harry could smell Louis' hair and feel the grip of his hand and it felt like home. He had missed him terribly.

Harry glanced at the clock on the wall to see that it was just past seven. He could hear his mum humming in the kitchen and he was getting hungry, but he didn't want to move and wake up Louis. But as Harry shifted slightly, he disturbed Louis' sleep, causing the older boy to stir.

Louis' eyes fluttered open and his gaze focused on Harry. "Hi," He whispered.

"Hi," Harry whispered back. He brought a hand up to the back of Louis' head and tugged on the hairs at his neck. "You feel better?"

Louis shrugged and let his head down to rest on Harry's chest. His hand was still gripping the younger boy's shirt which Harry took to mean that he still felt the same way. Harry felt like he could almost feel what Louis was feeling anyway. Harry knew that even though Louis' mum had kicked him out, Louis still loved her. He knew that they had been close for years and that, before Lottie, it was just the two of them. Just them against the world. He knew how protective Louis was over his family, even the ones who didn't seem to want him.

Louis was fiercely loyal and kind and he was absolutely everything to Harry.

"How 'bout we eat breakfast then talk?" Harry suggested, "Mum's in the kitchen now."

At the prospect of Harry's mum, a smile immediately broke onto Louis' face and he darted from the younger boy's arms. Harry jumped off the couch and followed Louis to the kitchen just in time to see his mother's arms wrapped tightly around Louis. The boy was holding on equally tight and Harry could see that his mum was whispering something he couldn't hear into Louis' ear.

Harry gave his mum a smile as she made eye contact with him over Louis' shoulder but then looked away to give them a moment to themselves. Opting, instead, to begin preparing Louis' tea and breakfast for the two of them. After a minute he felt Louis come up behind him and rest his forehead against Harry's back.

That was something that made Harry feel nostalgic of all the times the older boy had done that before, in that exact kitchen, in that exact spot. Harry had to hold in a sigh.

When the tea was ready he turned around and handed it to Louis before finishing up their breakfasts and placing them on the table.

As they sat down across from each other, Louis kicked Harry's shin and, although the younger boy wasn't sure if it was on purpose or not, it made him smile. Anne walked through the kitchen to bid her goodbyes to each boy.

"Going to school?" She asked after pressing a kiss to her son's head.

Harry frowned and glanced at Louis, "Best not."

Anne nodded and came up behind Louis, wrapping an arm around his chest and pressing a kiss to his cheek, "You'll be alright, love?"

Louis brought a hand up to his face and nodded, giving Anne a small smile.

"Alright boys, I'll see you tonight."

They both said a quiet goodbye before she left, leaving them to eat in silence, lest the sound of their forks scraping on the plate. When they had both cleared their plates, Harry brought them to the sink and rinsed them before placing them in the dishwasher.

Then he went back to the table, opting to sit beside Louis, rather than across from him as he had done before. He hesitated for a moment before reaching over and taking Louis' hand in his. However, the moment he did, Louis squeezed his hand tightly, which reassured Harry in his decision.