twenty four

Part 3 - Where They Fall Apart

[warning: this chapter makes me really fucking sad]

After that night nothing really changed too much. Louis continued to stay in Harry's room while Harry would go to Gemma's room each night before sneaking back to sleep beside Louis. Louis was, of course, sad, devastated, distraught, about what had gone down with his mother but there was very little he felt he could do about it. He couldn't force his mother to accept him, to love him for who he was and who he loved.

And that's right, Harry and Louis were in love.

They weren't the type of couple that were always saying it to each other, although perhaps, in a world where they weren't hiding their relationship from almost everyone, they would be. No, they were the kind of people that really didn't say it. Except Harry would whisper it into Louis' ear as they fell asleep, arms wrapped tightly around each other. And Louis would mouth it to the younger boy when they passed by each other in the hallway.

Their love for each other was kept as a secret to them and they loved it. They loved the privacy and intimacy that it afforded them.

And that was enough for them.

---

The day after Louis showed up at Harry's house, in tears, was spent with the two boys cuddling in Harry's bed. Now that Anne knew about their relationship they felt much freer to express their adoration for each other.

Harry was laying with his head against the pillow, Louis laying half on top of him. The older boy's head was pressed into the crook of Harry's neck, arms and legs wrapped tightly around his boyfriend. Harry, on the other hand, had one arm around Louis, both of his hands holding onto his phone, which he was holing up so the two of them could watch Netflix.

As they watched the TV show, Louis could feel himself beginning to drift off, however, just as Louis let his eyes shut there was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in," Harry said loudly, Louis tried to move away from the boy so that they would be in a less couple-y position for Anne, but Harry held him tightly, not letting him scoot away.

"Hi boys," Anne said, opening the door. Although she was happy to have Louis stay with them, and adored the way that her son clearly cared for the boy, she couldn't help but feel very concerned about Louis. Even then, as she took them in, Louis' eyes were rimmed red and he was grasping onto Harry's shirt so tightly his knuckles had paled. It was as if he was worried he might float away from her son.

"Louis?" Louis looked up at her with a small smile, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Louis nodded and sat up with Harry.

"I'll go downstairs for a minute," Harry said but as he went to move away Louis felt his heart immediately begin to pick up speed and he quickly reached and grabbed onto Harry's wrist, stopping him from leaving.

Harry looked at him, his expression torn between sorrow and concern for the boy he was in love with. "I'll be right back, Lou."

But as he went to move away again he heard a quiet whine come from Louis, followed by the trembling of his bottom lip. Harry gave his mum a sad smile before sitting back on the bed and pulling Louis into him. Louis pressed his face into Harry's neck, and Harry slowly rubbed his back.

"Can you come back later, mum?" Harry asked quietly.

Anne nodded and then left the room, wanting to give the pair some space.