two

Harry was immediately out the door of his chemistry class as the bell rang. He hadn't seen Louis since English as they didn't share any other classes, given that Louis was in the year above him, and Harry tried to minimize his time in the hallways between classes. Avoiding human contact was one of his main goals in life.

Harry quickly made his way to the back doors of the school, where all the students parked. Although the day had begun quite cold, the warm October sun had warmed the air through the afternoon so Harry deemed it appropriate to wait just outside the doors, leaning against the wall, where he would be in plain sight should Louis exit the school looking for him.

As Harry's mind drifted through random thoughts, he caught sight of Louis exiting the school and immediately looking around for Harry. Harry pulled himself away from the wall and gave Louis the smallest wave, before reaching into his pocket, turning down his music and swiftly pulling out one of his earbuds so he could hear the other boy.

"Harry," Louis greeted, a smile rising to his face

"Hi," Harry replied quietly.

"You ready to go?" Louis asked. Harry nodded and followed as Louis took the front, leading him to a small grey car sitting at the edge of the parking lot.

Louis opened the passenger door and motions for Harry to enter it, closing it behind him before making his way to the driver's seat.

"I know it's not much, definitely not as fancy as some of the other guys on the team, but it's mine," Louis said with a smile, turning towards Harry to speak before starting the car and slowly pulling out of the parking lot.

"It was actually my grandfather's but I got it when he passed away a couple of years ago. I couldn't drive it until a few months ago when I got my license but my parents just had left it sitting in the garage, ready for me." Louis turned to look at Harry as they approached the stop sign just off of school property.

"So, uh, where d'you live?" Louis asked with a chuckle, causing a light blush to paint Harry's cheeks. Obviously, Louis didn't know where he lived, how could he have been so stupid.

"Sorry, this way." Harry gave short, one-word directions as they drove the ten minutes through the suburbs until they approached Harry's house.

Harry's house was small, yes, but it was the right size for just Anne and Harry. It was also all they could afford, but Harry wasn't embarrassed by it or anything. The two kept good care of it and were proud of the way the garden had bloomed all summer and the clean white railings of the porch.

"You have a nice house," Louis said as they exited his car. Harry just nodded and shrugged as he led Louis to the front door and unlocked it with his key from his pocket, pushing it open and letting Louis enter first.

The two boys slipped off their shoes and Louis stared at Harry for a moment before awkwardly saying, "You don't speak much."

Harry blushed as a dark feeling came over his chest. He had never spoken much, not since he was a kid.

"Hey," Harry looked up. "It just means we're meant to be best friends, 'cause I can never stop talking."

This brought a smile to Harry's face and he looked down again before placing a hand on Louis' elbow and leading him into the kitchen, sitting down at the kitchen table and pulling his notes from his bag, Louis following suit.

The two boys worked on their project for a couple of hours, Louis doing most of the talking, until around six o'clock when Harry's mother came home.

"Harry?" Anne called as she entered the house, causing both boys to look up from their work. Moments later Harry's mum appeared in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Oh," She said, "And who's this?"

Harry looked at Louis as he stood from his seat and walked to Anne, offering her his hand. "'M Louis, Harry's friend from school. We're just working on a project for class."

Anne shook Louis' hand but looked past him to Harry, cocking an eyebrow at her son. Harry just shrugged, not knowing what to say.

Anne sighed at her son, "Alright, well I've got to get started on dinner, why don't you two head up to your room Harry? Oh and Louis, would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Actually ma'am I've best go home for dinner, my mum's waiting for me."

Anne nodded and left the doorway, leaving just Harry and Louis in the room.

"You have to go home now?" Harry asked. He was disappointed, he actually enjoyed Louis' company quite a bit.

And almost as if Louis could read his mind, the older boy quickly walked over and sat back down next to Harry. "Don't worry, I'll come over again tomorrow if that's alright with you?"

Harry just nodded and started clearing their stuff off the table, handing Louis his stuff to put in his own backpack while Harry did the same. Once the table was clear the two boys stood and Louis pulled his backpack onto his shoulder, following Harry to the door.

Harry stood leaning against the wall as Louis slipped on his shoes. Louis straightened back up and the two boys stood there for a moment, staring at each other.

"Bye," Harry said, giving a slight wave to Louis.

The older boy frowned, "I don't get a hug?"

The dopey smile that immediately formed on Harry's face warmed Louis' heart. Harry shrugged and stepped forward with his arms out in the slightest. Louis pulled him in and rested his head in the younger boy's neck for a moment before pulling away, pressing a kiss to the side of Harry's head, right where his hair met his temple, as he did so.

This small kiss immediately brought a flush of red to Harry's face and a hoard of butterflies to his stomach.

Louis looked back at the blushing boy and gave him a knowing smile before stepping out of the house, closing the door behind him and heading home.