twenty three

[listen to fine line while you read this]

Harry couldn't sleep that night. He couldn't sleep because all he could think about was the way that the boy he loved had cried himself to sleep in his lap.

The boy that he loved. He loved Louis. Harry thought he couldn't possibly love Louis. They had only been dating for a few months and they were in high school. You don't love your high school boyfriend. You date until you both go away to college and then you break up, that's it. But with Louis... Fuck... With Louis, Harry thought he'd been in love with him forever. Or maybe not forever.

Sure he'd had a crush on the boy since year 10 but he hadn't been in love with him. Not at all. No, Harry thought that perhaps the moment he fell in love with Louis Tomlinson was the time they went grocery shopping. Or the time that Louis held Harry because he felt sad. Or the moment that Louis kissed him and then tugged on his curls.

He really couldn't pinpoint the moment which disappointed him a bit. How could he not remember the moment he fell in love? As much as he would like to pin it down to one thing that Louis did, Harry thought, it was everything Louis did. Louis as a whole, really. The boy was just, everything to Harry. He was fucking, everything.

And that's the real reason that Harry couldn't sleep. Because that boy was everything to him, yet he had shown up at his door in tears and Harry couldn't do anything but hold him, try his best to calm the boy down.

It scared Harry to no end, thinking about what must've happened to put Louis in that state. He knew that it had something to do with his mum but Harry couldn't imagine her doing anything to put Louis into the state he was.

Harry had never met Jay before that day, but Louis had always spoken to her as if she held the entire world in her hands. And Harry supposed the opposite, in fact, was true. Jay held Harry's whole world in her hands. She had raised the love of his life and Louis loved that woman to no end. And she ruined him.

Harry turned around bitterly in the bed, trying not to think about Louis' mum, in fear of getting too riled up. However, minutes later, when he still couldn't sleep, he decided he best get up and grab a glass of water. He narrowed his eyes at the way the bed squeaked, wondering how Gemma ever snuck out if it made that much noise (and he was fairly certain she had snuck out quite a bit while in high school).

Harry opened the door just enough to squeeze out, but as he moved to go downstairs, he heard the quiet sound of crying coming from his room. Knowing it could only be Louis, Harry abandoned his quest to get some water and instead hurried to his room. Harry knocked lightly on the door before opening it, again, just enough to slip in, closing it behind him.

Harry took a step towards the bed to see Louis now fully under the covers, shielding even his head from view. But even with the older boy completely void from view, Harry could hear quiet sobs racking through Louis' body, choking and sputtering their way through his throat.

"Lou?" Harry whispered as he approached the bed. He leant down beside the lump under the covers and pulled back the duvet, exposing Louis. The older boy's hair was plastered down across his forehead as his lips trembled and tears fell from his eyes.

"Baby," Louis whimpered out, making Harry's heart shatter completely at just how torn apart his boy was.

Harry reached down to push the hair off Louis' face before slipping under the covers beside him, sitting against the headboard and pulling Louis to sit on him. Neither of them were quite sure when it had happened but at some point during their relationship, Harry had grown to be taller and bigger than Louis, but to be fair, Louis was never that big, to begin with.

Either way, their newfound sizes made a position such as this much easier. Harry was able to wrap his entire body around Louis, just wanting to do everything in his power to make him feel safe.

Louis sat on Harry's lap, facing the younger boy, his feet placed on either side of Harry's hips as he leaned so his entire weight was pressed into Harry's chest, his forehead right at Harry's sternum.

Harry wrapped his arms around Louis tightly, trying to just hold the boy together as he continued to cry in his boyfriend's arms. Harry rubbed the older boy's back occasionally, trying to think back to all the times Louis had comforted him.

Harry tried to think about what he could possibly do to comfort Louis but eventually, with just the presence of Harry, the boy's sobs slowed and his breathing evened out.

"Sorry," Louis eventually whispered, his voice getting lost in the dark of the night.

"I'm sorry," Harry whispered back before pressing a kiss to the top of Louis' head. With that, Louis lifted his head from where it was rested on Harry's chest and he looked up at his boyfriend. Louis brought his hand up from where it was clenched tightly around Harry's shirt to rest on the side of Harry's face, just staring at the boy through his dampened eyelashes.

Louis admired the way that Harry's green eyes were completely enraptured with his own face, never breaking eye contact with Louis as the older boy ran his thumb over Harry's cheek, then jaw, then lips. And then Louis connected their lips and admired the way that due to their few months of dating, they both knew exactly how the other liked to be kissed.

It was a sweet kiss, all lips and love.

And when the pulled away, faces solemn but hearts happier than they had been the moment before, there was only one thought on Harry's mind.

"I love you."

And not a beat later,

"I love you too."

---

and there's the end of part two

its been a wild ride guys

part 3 will be up -most likely- on March 27

special thanks to @MelyMelo182003  

for being the best

xx