A New Pet

"Meg! Look at this!"

The prince looked over, throwing their hood off of their head. "What is it?"

"Look! It's something in a box!"

Meg smiled at their friend, walking across the slim road to their friend. "O-Oh!" They crouched down to the thin box, which had slim legs poking out of the bottom as it toddled around the sidewalk. "Whatcha got there, little guy?" They smiled, tapping the box with their pointer finger.

With the tap, the small creature made a loud squawking sound, starting to fall over.

"Meg!" The other frowned, glaring at her friend. "Meg, just because you're royalty does not mean you can just go and scare small animals!"

"Aven, I didn't mean to! I was just touching it." They smiled, watching the small animal.

"I'm gonna try and get the box off of it." Aven grinned, getting onto her knees to get better footing. "Okay, little guy, let's just-" She threw two of her four arms forward, accidentally slapping the box.

"Aven!"

"I know, I know," She frowned, pink eyes aiming at the box. "Let me just-" She dove forward again, snagging the animal in her arms. "Gotcha!"

—————

"Mooom! I'm hoooome!" Aven yelled, motioning for Meg to get inside the house. "I brought Meg, we're gonna be in my room!"

Meg bit their lip, hiding the box animal under their long jacket. "Aven which way is your room?"

"Down the hall, second on the right. Put him on the bed. I'm gonna get some snacks and stuff. Just wait for me." Aven ran into another room, the smell of an aromatic meal flying through the crack in the door.

Meg nodded, walking down the thin hallway into, presumably, Aven's room. They sat down on Aven's small bed, taking the box out from their jacket.

After a few minutes, Aven stepped into the room, placing a small plate of pastries onto the floor. "Okay, open the box."

Meg's eyes widened, looking at their friend to the box.

"Go on, we'll be old once you open it if it takes this long!" Aven smiled, swiping her sandy hair out of her eye as she sat next to the plate. "Go on!"

"Okay, just... get ready if it isn't nice."

"Since when did something small ever kill someone?"

"Uh... quite a lot." Meg frowned, taking the top of the box in their hand. "I'm going to open it now, and you're paying if I get hurt!"

"Okay okay, just open it already!" Aven hissed, becoming exasperated at her friend's cowardliness.

Meg took the top flaps of the box in each hand, then threw them open. They squeezed their white eyes shut, getting ready to save themself if the thing attacked.

A loud gasp flew from Aven's mouth. "Meggg! Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! Open your eyes now!"

Meg looked at the box, then smiled. A minuscule bird-like creature say on the inside, large blue eyes staring up at the two. "Hi, little dude."

The bird jumped out of the box, showing it's great height from its long legs. Sauntering over to the pastries, it took one in its thick bill.

"Meg.."

"Aven..."

"Let's keep him."

—————

(496 words)

Here ya go! Took me a bit, but I'm proud lol.

I did this for an audition, will say if I got in or not. Just used some of my fantasy characters for this ::)