45

DARCY'S POV

At that moment of my life, I wanted to kill myself. I wanted to the ground to swallow me. If only that was possible. That was when I ran into Lucy, Bernardo's mother.

"Darcy, sweetheart, are you okay?" She asked as if she was concerned. I hugged her and started crying. "It's about Bernardo..."

I told her everything and she started, "Ever since Bernardo met you, he has been so happy. He talks a lot about you. How you guys fight all the time but are still best friends." She paused while tightening her hold on my hand and continued, "How gorgeous you are and how much he loves you." My heart skipped a beat as I released my hand from her hold. I'm pretty sure that I was looking like a freak at that time.

Trying my best not to smile or blush, I stuttered, "L-loves m-me?" Looking at the ancient wall, I played with the ends of my blond hair. On the wall was a painting of a lady, wearing a marroon midi dress, walking in the field of yellowish flowers with a basket half filled with flowers that matched the aesthetic. Behind her, was a man wearing marroon trousers with a white shirt chasing the woman as she smiled.

"Earth to Darcy." Lucy flipped her fingers in front of me. "Apologies, I got engrossed in the painting."  Winking at me, she whispered, "Picturing Bernardo and you in the pic, isn't it?"

"Oh n- I was just..."

"I'll take your silence as a yes but coming back to your question, my son is in love with you." My eyes glistened with happiness as she said that. I probably wanted to dance at that moment only my bubble of happiness to be bursted with Lucy saying, "but he's not accepting it."

My heart split into microparts as I heard her words. "But you just told me he told you that he loves me. Then?"

"He told me he loves you but when I asked what kind of love, he said the friendship one." She said.  I felt weak and horrible. Grabbing the pillar next to me while still feeling pain in my ankle, I closed my eyes and let my tears flow. Why as a friend? Just why me? Why is it always me? I love him so much. As a friend? Why can't he see it's more than that?

"Darcy, sweetheart, please calm down and listen to me," Lucy said hugging me from the back. "What's there to listen anymore?"

"Darcy, he loves you but he doesn't accept it. He's been through a lot and he knows that he loves you but he can't accept it. His past doesn't let him. You have to make him realise his love for you. Sweetheart, control yourself."

I let my tears flow more, "Make him realise? I've been doing this for the past few days? He doesn't get anything and just...I should go. I'm sorry for leaving like this."

"But you're not well, sweetheart and it's so late."

"I'll be fine, thank you so much. Bye," I said and gave her a last hug before leaving. Luckily, I didn't run into Bernardo and was able to take baby steps.

Dialling her number, I put the phone to my ear as she picked up. "Can I come at your place right now?"

...

Oh oh. Another update. I had written this chapter before. That's why I'm able to post. I might post another one :))