side stories | dawn; hale

Dawn's last phonecall

14 November, 2018

He stared at the ceiling fan in a daze, afraid to close his eyes.

That fan made a weird sound when it spinned in a high speed and swayed a little as it did, which made Dawn Ambers even more afraid that it would fall down on top of him any moment. What would happen if it did? Would the blades cut his body? No, the blades weren't sharp. But it would definitely hurt. But would it hurt more than it already did? Probably not.

He thought of just going to the floor to sleep, but his body was too exhausted to move. Moreover, he was sure to see something looking back at him from under his bed. That was terrifying. So he remained there, hugging his favorite Pikachu cushion to his chest, staring at the fan and thinking about death.

Death. He felt its present in the corner of his room. No, he felt its presence everywhere. It was encapsulating him. It was waiting for him. It had been for a while.

Waiting for him to end it.

Dawn took a deep breath, and felt a pain shoot up his chest. "Ugh . . ." He grunted. He hugged the cushion tighter.

I want to sleep . . .

But he was so scared. In that room, his only companions were his dark thoughts and painful recollections of the past. There was also a lot of guilt. The clock was ticking too loudly and too fast for his comfort. It had been 11 pm a few minutes ago, and now it was already past 2. Time is always in a hurry.

That's when his phone rung, the ringtone playing not his, but his best friend's favorite song. He smiled. There could only be one person who would unhesitatingly call him at this hour of the night. He cleared his throat and picked the call. "Hello, Ced!"

"Hey, Dawn." His tired voice came from the other side, and Dawn felt a sting in his chest. But he also felt a huge wave of happiness flow through his body at the sound he hadn't heard in a while. "I knew you would still be awake," Cedar said.

"I've been trying but it doesn't work."

"You will start seeing things again."

"No, I won't!" Dawn laughed. "I slept for twelve hours in the morning. Don't worry. But why aren't you asleep yet? I told you to stop studying so late!"

He heard a small laugh. "Spare me for now. Finals are coming and mom is killing me everyday. I have been studying Biology for the past six hours and now I feel like an expert Cardiologist."

"Oh, yeah? Does the pulmonary vein carry oxygenated or deoxygenated blood?"

"Deoxy— wait. Wait. Ugh, I hate you!"

Dawn put a hand on his mouth and laughed into it, even more so when he heard the noise of pages being turned vigorously on the other side.

"It is oxygenated blood, oh my God."

"You will forget it tomorrow," Dawn said, still laughing.

"Ugh, you're right. I hate heart. I wish we didn't have one."

"Then we'd all be ghosts."