chapter 37 : this moment and that moment

26 July; Friday

I never dreamed that the plan would include me sneaking into school at night.

And I certainly never dreamed that the plan would also include me having an imaginary son who is getting beaten by imaginary punks in the local park as we speak.

It is almost midnight, but I am wearing sunglasses for the sun which is on the other hemisphere right now, and my hands are all over the security guard as I plead him to save my son.

"P-p-lease! They're beating him so bad! I don't know what to do. They're gonna kill him. They might really kill him. Please help my son!" Then I bend forward and break into a fit of sobs, which is not easy, since July is laughing hysterically beside me.

The security guard, Mr. Owen, is a tall, muscular man who is very sincere about his work. He is one of those rare security guards who don't actually fall asleep during their shift. But the biggest plus point is that he is very kind and helpful towards everyone.

"Oh no," he says, grabbing my arms. "This is bad. Why are they beating him up? It's so late at night!"

"It's because he is gay!" I say between sobs, and July actually falls down on the ground and starts rolling in laughter. "We're homeless. Those punks came out of nowhere and started beating him. Please, help me! I can't fight. I can't protect him!"

"Okay, okay, I'm going right now. Stay here." He runs off to the direction of the local park, about ten minutes away, where three of Daisy's mysterious friends are pretending to fight.

Daisy is better at holding her laughter. She is also better at climbing up the school gate, like she has done it before. She probably has. I follow her to the entrance door of the school building. She bends on her knees to pick the lock of the door. Both of us are wearing masks to cover our faces from the security cameras. "That was some Oscar-worthy acting, C," she tells me.

July laughs, but I don't find it so funny. "I don't like lying."

"Greater good, dude. Think of the greater good." The lock clicks open, and she lets out a satisfied sigh. "Let's go in."

This is the real deal. I can't believe I'm breaking into school at night. How the hell did it come down to this? My heart is beating drums inside my chest, my hands sweaty. I hesitate before going in.

Will I be able to live with the humiliation of getting expelled from high school?

But then, amidst thr doubts, I think of Edgar's pained face. I think of his breaking voice, the bandages on his body, the tears he tried to hide. That was enough of a push. I go in, followed by July.

We turn on the torches of our phones. There's a lot to do. Daisy gives me the bag filled with tiny cameras, and I head to the fourth floor while she goes to the security office. I myself have a bag filled with some signs July and I made. When I asked Daisy how she got the cameras, she said she has connections. I wonder how she has people who would pretend to fight or lend her cameras.

July and I run to Nick's classroom. He is a Business student like Alex. Classroom 413, easily located in the light of my phone torch. July helps me in every way he can without making it look suspicious in the security cameras. Oh God, can't believe I'm doing this. Daisy joins us for the part that takes place outside the school building. Oh God, am I really doing this?

I have got really tired by now, so my grip on the chairs falter a little.

"What the fuck?" Daisy scolds. "Haven't been taking you carbohydrates or what?"