side-stories | aster; daniel

aster's guilt

"Do you like Cedar?"

Aster turns his gaze from the obscure gay comic to his new boyfriend, who is sitting on the window sill, a little away from the study table, against which Aster is leaning. Aside from the window and this table, the only other things in this room are a cupboard, a bed, and a vicinity table. It is more bland than the room of his younger brother. "Little Cedar? He is rather adorable. I do like him. Why do you ask?"

Dale looks to the ground. His silence indicates hesitation, and unwillingness to speak up his mind – Aster has figured that out about him by now. So he tries to read the boy. "Are you worried I like him more than you?" Aster doesn't forget to add a teasing tone to the question.

Dale remains silent for some more time, so Aster decides to wait. The more patience you have with Dale Lockwood, the more you can get to know about him.

Finally, he speaks up. "Cedar is better than me. If you do like him more, I can understand."

Aster feels a small sting in his heart. There he goes, being all considerate again! Oh, how low must he see himself as? How can Aster make him realize how much of a wonderful, lovable and amazing person he is?

He puts the comic beside him and sits up on the edge of the table. Then he holds out his hands towards the one sitting on the window. "Dale-dale, come here."

He stands from there and walks over to him. He stops in a reasonable distance. Aster chuckles and says, "Come closer."

And so he does, carefully hiding his hesitance under the mask of stoned facial muscles. Aster puts his hands on the Mannequin's shoulders. Their gazes lock, as gentle as the summer night breeze. Then he lets the man he now loves know, "Though little Cedar is cute, no one is as cute as Dale-dale."

Dale blinks at him.

"I swear on Sulphuric acid!"

And finally, his lips curl up ever so slightly. He looks away, his hand moving  to his mouth to cover his reddening cheeks.

"Why, look at me, Dale-dale."

And he does, once again, and this time, the hint of sadness in those coffee brown marbles have been replaced by a sparkle of happiness. His eyes can always give away his emotions, even though his face can't. That is why Aster makes sure to always look at them.

"Dale," he calls the actual name to display seriousness. "It is okay to feel insecure since it is your first relationship, but you should trust me when I say that I do like you." Like, it will be, for now. Bit early for love, perhaps? Yet, that is. As the polaroid image of Ethan Johanson's smile still lingers in the back of his vision, haunting his nightmares and blessing his dreams. Oh, Ethan. How Aster wished for another second with him, in those warm arms, with that angelic voice softly whispering in his ears, 'Stay over tonight, love'.

Aster snaps out from the thoughts of his past lover. Sweet Sodium, he has done it again! No, shouldn't he focus on the boy in front of him, instead of the boy who is now underground?

Dale realizes the disconnection of their gazes, like he always does, and so he proceeds to take a few steps backwards to get away from him. Ashamed, Aster grabs his shoulders and keeps him close. "I'm sorry, Dale."