chapter 29 : circles of confusion

You look like a zombie, but without the dirty, blood-stained teeth," Edgar comments, observing my face with narrowed eyes.

"Thank you," I reply while yawning. Once my sleep breaks, it becomes reluctant to return. Especially when my entire body is awake with the joy of having my invisible friend back by my side. I barely slept for three hours, and had to drink a mug of extremely bitter black coffee before coming to school.

Edgar contracts the yawn virus. After finishing, he slaps himself, and then slaps me.

"Dude, the heck?" I rub my palm over my cheeks.

He ignores it. "But you also look kinda . . . happy? Something good happened?"

"No."

"Lies." He observes my face even more. "Looks like you didn't get sleep." A gasp escapes his lips. He points at me and exclaims, "The nerd was wanking all night! It's the floating happiness after a hundred ejaculations! The nerd's an idiot and a perve--"

"Louis does not need to hear these before the exams!" Louis says without turning back, covering his ears with his fingers. "His soul will become impure, making his connection with God weak." Then he makes a cross gesture over his chest.

His seatmate loudly scoffs. Twirling a finger around her golden locks, she boredly states, "So fucking is allowed but wanking isn't? I think your Lord is confused."

Flabbergasted, Louis clears his throat and starts to explain why post-marital sex is allowed but masturbation isn't, and she retorts with her own logic, and soon it turns into a debate about Religion Rocks Vs. Religion Sucks.

I sigh. While Louis Morris is a loyal and dedicated Christian, his seatmate Daisy Redfield is openly atheist. Needless to say, they don't get along very well. However, it isn't a big problem for either of them, since most of the time, Daisy leaves class after giving attendance in the first period and doesn't return for the rest of the day. No one truly knows where she remains, but she timely returns to the class right after the school breaks.

She sits for all the exams though, and somehow manages to get mediocre grades, comparatively better than Edgar.

"Damn, didn't think it would lead to this," Edgar says, watching the two argue.

"It's your fault."

"I didn't know he was listening!"

I turn behind me. The girl who gave me the compass yesterday still isn't here. I glance at the clock. Eleven minutes left, and the teacher will be here soon. She is going to be late.

When the teacher comes, the anxiety kicks in, a feeling I've grown too familiar with over the years. You'd think after giving so many exams I would get more used to it, but I never have. As usual, my stomach turns into a running washing machine, making breakfast twirl inside it in a manner that induces the need to vomit. I gather air in my mouth and then blow them out.

Tapping my legs anxiously, I watch the minute hand of the clock move towards the twelve mark.

-------------------------

"So this is your secret hideout?" Edgar asks.

The Physics question was moderately difficult. I did manage to answer everything, but some questions took so long to answer that I started panicking a little midway through the exam, worrying I won't be able to finish it. I matched the answer of the questions I was confused about. Regrettably, I got a multiple choice question wrong. Stupid beta decay.

The Periods girl didn't give the exam today. When I asked the students who sit around her about this, they said they didn't know why. They couldn't even say her name. Apparently, she doesn't have any friends.