chapter 39 : little cherry

The latter lets out a yelp of pain.

Gasping, I stand up from the bed. Even Daisy has a look of disbelief on her face. "I'm sorry!" Nick pleads, his voice breaking. "Just get it off!"

"You think a sorry solves it, you pest?" I worry if I should stop him, but once I look closely, I realize he is actually not pressing down that hard. He is just resting his leg on Nick's head. "You think a sorry gets your dirty hands off my body?" Then he hits Nick's head with the heel of his toe, making him let out another yelp, but he doesn't fight back at all. It is painful to watch someone's self-esteem go down the drain like that.

"Will you ever do this again, horny bastard?" Edgar asks, laughing humorlessly. "Because look at you now, under my feet. How does it feel?"

With gritted teeth, he says, "I'll never do it again."

"Damn right you won't." Edgar puts his hands on his waist and says, "About your question earlier, yes, I do shave my pubic hair, you unhygienic piece of shit." With a final kick, he removes his leg.

"Now get the fuck out of my house."

The three of them proceed to sit up, but Edgar hasn't forgotten the remaining two. Just as Roger raises his head, Edgar kicks it with the heel of his toe. Then he does the same to Jason. Afraid, both of them remain with their heads on the ground.

"Now seriously, please get out. My house is gonna start stinking because of you shits." He looks at the door, where his family is still standing, their faces filled with proud grins. "Brother Ed, why don't you show them the way out?"

"With pleasure," he replies. He grabs Roger and Nick by their collars and Daisy handles Jason. The three of them are dragged out of the room. A minute later, I hear the sound of punches and kicks from outside. Ouch, they're gonna remember that.

Edgar is still standing there, looking at the ground. Now that the whole thing has dawned on me, I realize how insanely crazy that was. I never imagined I would see something like that in front of my eyes. Edgar is really merciless, as he should be.

"Woah, Evren," I say, "you were so badass—"

Before I can finish, Edgar has wrapped his arms around my neck in a tight hug, and has started to sob. His hands are still trembling, which shows how afraid he was throughout the whole thing.

"Oh God, I fucking hate hugs," he says, his voice muffled against my shoulder.

I put my hands on his back and ecouragingly pat him. "Then why are you doing it?"

"I don't fucking know. Shut up."

I laugh. "You know, the pendrive is actually empty."

He pulls back and looks at me with wide eyes. "What did you just say?"

I grin. "The camera near the storeroom has been broken since 2011."

-------------------

For a moment, I was sure that I came to the wrong house.

But then Dale appears behind the person, and I can confirm it is my house, because Dale never visits neighbors.

"Oh, is this little Cedar?" he asks Dale, who nods. "Oh my God!" He pulls me to a tight hug that disrupts my breathing.