chapter 24 : must be a coincidence

"No, I'm not."

She sits down on the chair across me. Up close, I notice the freckles on her face and the piercing on her nose. Some strands of her black hair are dyed forest green, something that greatly suits her style and aura. "Hmm, sad book?"

I nod. For some reason, I can't meet her eyes. After I close the book and twine my finger around the handle of the mug, she holds out her hand.

"My name is Autumn," she says with a toothy smile. "What's yours?"

I let go of the mug and shake her hand. "It's Cedar." I give her a smile, and look down again. Wait, was my palm sweaty? Considering how nervous I am right now, it wouldn't be surprising.

Oh no, I will never shake hands with people again.

"Cute name." She smiles awkwardly.
"Thanks." I smile awkwardly.

She must have approached me with great expectations, and now she must be disappointed getting a glimpse of my unsociable self, but doesn't want to look rude. So she creates a conversation.

"So . . . what did Cedar think of my singing?" She asks. She has her own way of talking. She tilts her head and moves her body slightly to and fro, as if shyly asking for a candy, and talks in a baby voice which is completely different than her matured singing voice. I would probably be annoyed if it was just her trying too hard to be cute, but it just seems like her personality.

"It's beautiful. Your voice is beautiful."

"Really? I'm so happy!" She cheerfully claps . "The song's not mine, though."

"I know. Ruby McKinnon." She was one of Dawn's long time crush.

"Oh! You know her. That's great. Well, everyone says my voice is nice and all, but apparently it isn't nice enough for SYV."
"SYV?"

"Searching Your Voice?"

"Hmm? What's that?"

"Nothing special, just the biggest music show in this country." It takes me a while to get that she is being sarcastic. Seeing my surprised look, she squints her eyes and asks, "Are you from Mars?"

I take another sip from my coffee. "Deimos, to be specific."

She bursts out laughing. That wasn't even funny. But she says, "You're funny."

"Uh, thanks." Why can't I think of better stuffs to say?

"Well." She puts her elbow on the table and puts her cheek on her palm. "How old are you, Cedar?"
"17."
"Owh. You're younger than me. I'm 20." She sulks a little.

I take another sip. I'm almost finished. "Is that a problem?" I carefully ask.

She purses her lips in and glances away, her cheeks reddening. I feel my heart do excited somersaults inside my chest. "Nopes, not at all."

This would have been much easier if July was here to guide me. He seems like the type to casually flirt without missing a beat.

"Well, I. . . play here every Monday and Thursday around the same time. Will you come watch me some other day too?"

I nod. "Sure. After my exams end, I can." I wonder if she is asking just out of politeness.

"Great!" She claps in joy. Then she points at the book with her eyes and holds out her hand again. "Can I take a look at it?"

I look down at the book in my lap. I take it in my hand, but something holds me back from giving it to her. I bite my lips, unable to refuse her, and unable to give it to her.

"What's wrong?"

"This . . . uh, this book belongs to my friend so. . ."

"Oh, I'm not gonna eat it up. Just gonna check the summary."