Chapter 32

Ashton's POV

As I sat there on the ground, Mytyl unconscious in my arms, I wondered how this could happen?

I knew Mytyl would be fine, the power of her Locket would heal her in short time. I looked around.

I saw Gibril holding a hand to Gunvolt, removing him from the zombified state he was in, returning him to normal.

Beladim was cursing like a sailor, eyes blazing with fury.

The thing that broke me more than anything was Eliese, holding the body of her sister.

No. They were more than sisters. They shared a mind, their emotions, all of it. Like losing herself.

I looked into the Items of Power in my time with Alexandra. With the curse on that whip, Eliese couldn't resurrect.

I then felt shifting as Mytyl awoke. She immediately gave me a panicked look. I smiled reassuringly.

"Don't worry, Mytyl. You're safe."

She didn't move to get out of my hold on her, so I let her stay. There were tears in her eyes.

"Lumen isn't. I can sense everything. She's scared, Ashton."

I sighed. I didn't know what to do.

Thankfully, the one who did spoke up.

"Her sense will help us get her back."

Mytyl sat up, stepping out of my hold. "I know where she is. But how can we get her back?"

Beladim growled in frustration, closing his eyes. After a moment, he spoke. "We need to head back home. We're shattered, now. We need to gain our strength."

I stood up. "I can call Kyle up so we can get healed up. I don't want Quinn involved."

Beladim nodded. "You good for a portal, summoner? Honestly."

I felt inside, checking my Septima. I heard Gunvolt's voice. "What are you doing?"

I smiled. "Checking my Septima. Unlike you, most adepts can't instantly recharge our Septima."

I turned to Beladim. "I'm sorry, I can't make a portal."

Beladim nodded calmly. "Alright. We'll continue our trek, then. I know you're all tired. Just a little more."

Right. The reason we left in the first place was to go to a specific location that would spark memories in Lumen. Of course, if Zander didn't betray us, we wouldn't have had to.

Mytyl was at Beladim's side, Gunvolt was supporting Eliese, and Gibril was carrying her fallen sister, at Beladim's request. Just plain disrespectful to leave her here.

I walked over to Beladim to get answers. Since I knew more, I could probably get a better answer than the others.

"Where exactly are we going?"

Beladim responded with a question, in his usual way. "What did the Order teach you about the Three Garden's origin?"

I spoke off memory. "There are three Gardens, that keep the world from falling apart.

Mytyl responded, with another question. "Right, but where did they come from?"

I blinked. "I don't know. I figure since it's a Garden it was made by someone with special power."

Beladim smiled. "Correct. Several thousand years ago, they were created by the first three Masters, using their unique Septima."

I tilted my head to the side. "But why make them at all? It seems almost like.... A barrier. Keeping something away."