Chapter 7

I woke up, confused as to why I was on a shady looking rooftop, when it came back to me. (Remember, Ashton's memory was altered by shadow.) I was attacked by an unknown adept, who somehow managed to remove my Septima. I narrowed my eyes. It didn't matter that much. There's a reason I spar every day.

I understand what happened, but..... why was I here? Was I tracking this mysterious adept? That didn't feel right. I had a vague memory of an orange glaive, but....

Wait. I was here to save someone. But where are they? I didn't know. I should probably get home. How long was I out? I tapped some guy with a shield on the shoulder. He whirled around, putting the shield in a ready position. I noticed he had white hair.

"Are you another adept?" I sighed at the guy. "Not anymore." He raised an eyebrow at me. I spoke first.

"Before you smack me with that shield, let me just tell you, I am not a Sumeragi swordsman who put his Septima in a glaive. Another Adept did it to me against my will. Listen guy, I'm having a bad day. If you attack me, I will knock you into the ground, take your fancy shield, and beat you with it!"

The guy seemed amused at my ranting, but at least he lowered his shield. "If you're not an Adept, would you like some help, to get your bearings? I know what it's like to get beat by an adept." I studied him. He didn't seem like a bad guy, and I could take him if I needed to. I made my decision. I turned towards him.

"Alright then. My name is Ashton. What's your name?" He told me his name was Copen. Then he suddenly got incredibly serious.

"I will help you, but I maintain my privacy. I will blindfold you until we get there, and if you attack anyone, steal, or otherwise break anything, I will have my robot kill you." I was starting to like this guy. Nice and professional. I agreed.

As we walked, I began talking. I may have been unable to see, but I could make conversation. "Mind if I ask you a non specific question?" "Go ahead."

"Got any family, Copen? No names, just a question."

After a moment, he responded. "Yeah. I have a sister. She's always been frail, so she's been in and out of doctors." I frowned sympathetically. "I'm sorry Copen. I don't even know her, but I feel bad for her." Copen sighed shakily. He continued, the frustration and despair in his voice.

"She... She's only eight, and she's been unable to speak. Never could. There's nothing I can do to help her... She'll grow up without being able to speak. Why does it have to be this way!?"

I was heartbroken for this girl by the end of Copen's talk. "I'm sorry." I whispered. "No one should have to live like that. Especially that young."
I didn't know it, but he smiled slightly.
"You're the first person that cared enough to ask." I smiled back. "You're the only one that cared enough to help me."

"We're here." He undid my blindfold as we stepped through the door.

Something suddenly came to my mind. "Hey, Copen? When I asked for help, why did you ask me if I was an adept? Do you hate them?" He visibly tensed. "Yes. Adepts are only disaster. They only bring ruin." I nodded thoughtfully as I remembered the disaster. The one I caused. "I can agree on that."

Copen took a seat at a table, I sat across from him. He was serious again. "Let's see if we can work this out. Tell me what happened to you." I took a breath.

"I remember being attacked by an unknown adept, who ripped my Septima from me, and put it in a glaive. I know this happened, but I feel as if it happened differently than I know." Copen nodded.

"You think your memory was altered?" I nodded. "Possibly. I came to Sinners Row for a reason. A reason I wouldn't naturally forget. I was trying to help someone. I know that."
He was thoughtful. "What was the Septima used against you?"