Chapter 2: Interlude

A/N

Here we are again! Since someone actually saw this, I'm gonna keep doing this thing of mine. Also, I've already decided Ashton's Septima, but if you can think of a better Septima then the one I thought of, then I might change my mind. Hopefully I can get 10 viewers by Monday. Anyway, here's the chapter!

GV and I were arriving at the apartment after another completed assignment for Quill.  Yeah. Doing jobs for the people who we quit working for.  Won't pretend that sounds normal.  "Ashton and GV here. The assignment is complete." I told Moniqua. After we left Quill, GV and I became freelancers. We've been doing this for about half a year now.

It was hard to keep up, but we were getting by. The apartment feels a lot more like home nowadays.

"Great work today, you guys." Even as Moniqua congratulated us on the job, I could sense there was more.

"Hey, GV?" Here it is. "Almost all of your contracts are with us these days, right?" She's gonna recruit us....
"Do you have any desire to join up with us again?" After some hesitation, He replied,  "I take your jobs because you pay well. That's all. It's like Asimov said back then. Quill is no place for Joule... I think she needs a Family now, Moniqua."

I also added, "Its why we want to be there the best we can."

Moniqua went silent.

After a moment, she sighed through the phone. "I understand. How lovey- dovey. Say hi to Joule for me."

"I-Its not-" *click* aaaaand she's gone. How very Moniqua like. As we entered the living room, Joule was there to greet us. "Great job GV!" She congratulated with a happy smile. After a moment, however, her smile soon fell, as she said, "I just wish I could do something for you guys..."

GV then knelt in front of Joule, and said, "You already help me, Joule. When we talk to you, and go on a mission, You sing your songs when I dont have the strength to keep going. When I hear you sing, It gives me the strength to get up again."

"GV..." Joule began. And just then, Lumen showed up. With a laugh, she told us, "You know we're always thinking about you, right? You don't seem to realize that, though."

What Lumen is, exactly, is the physical form of Joule's Muse Septima. She pops in like this when Joule has a hard time expressing herself. It also has the rather convenient effect of embarrassing joule. Every time. Like sisters.

"G-Get outta here, Lumen!" Joule pleaded. I was just watching Joule get flustered with an amused look. I added unhelpfully, "You two just look so cute together." Lumen and I grinned as Joule blushed 3 shades brighter and Gunvolt chuckled nervously.

"Maybe you should go for now, Lumen" GV was trying to fix this, unfortunately. "You're no fun." I pouted as Lumen left.

GV turned towards me, and said, "Want to spar together? I need to catch up on melee combat."  I smirked.  "Your fancy lighting gun won't save you this time." I taunted with a smirk. I tossed my sword to the ground as GV moved the furniture aside. I took my place across from Gunvolt.

Gunvolt acted first. Stepping forward, He aimed a punch toward my cheek, which I blocked. I retaliated with an uppercut, which connected squarely into his jaw. "Come on boy, you can do better....." I taunted, trying to hype him up.

GV sent 2 high punches, forcing me to block again. However, expecting another fist to come flying, I wasn't expecting the kick to my stomach, sending me to the ground. "Better." I praised as I got to my feet.  "So," GV began, " I noticed when you failed to rescue me-" I rolled my eyes at that.
"That you didn't use your Septima. You do have a septima, right? I've heard of agents that don't."

My Septima is a... touchy subject, if you will. Nevertheless, I answered.
"Yeah, GV. I have a Septima."

"If you don't mind," He began, "May I ask why you don't use it?"

I took a deep breath. Here we go....

"The last time I used my septima, I lost control of a high level skill that destroyed an entire city. Men, women, children, the buildings, nothing came out. Since then, I haven't used my Septima. Not once."

Gunvolt was speechless. I could tell he was processing what I told him. Eventually He said, "I'm sorry Ashton, I- I can't imagine going through that."

"It's alright, Gunvolt." I told him with a sad smile. "It was a long time ago."

"May I ask what your Septima was?" GV questioned me hesitantly.

"I have a unique septima. No one else has it. I have the Conjurer Septima. If I defeat someone in a fight, or get a blood sample, I can create a living copy of that person for a short time. Higher level skills allow me to summon more advanced people. The copies I make will never hurt me, or anyone I care about. That's the gist of it."

"So a less advanced copy is a low level skill?" GV questioned. As I nodded, he added, "Then can you show me?"

No. Bad idea. So many things could go wrong. But then again, if it were a low level skill.....

"Just a low level one?" He nodded.

"Alright." I agreed hesitantly. "I beat you in the spar, so that should be enough." I took a step back. Here I go...

"Summon: Gunvolt!"

A person began to rise from the ground in front of me, an exact copy of Gunvolt, down to the hair clip he always wore. The only difference between them being The copy having green eyes to match mine, instead of Gunvolt's blue.

Gunvolt himself was walking around the copy excitedly, examining it from every angle. After a while, he turned towards me and said, "This is amazing, Ashton! It's so lifelike! What can he do?"

I smiled at his enthusiasm. After a moment, I responded,  "He can only do specific tasks, and doesn't talk. Like I said, This is a low level skill." The copy was now standing next to GV, waiting for a command, when we heard footsteps around the corner.

"GV, I was wondering if..... hyah!?"

I turned around to an extremely startled Joule, and realized how strange this must look.

She comes walking in to talk, and sees two of GV, standing next to each other. She must be so confused. So I sat her down, and explained my septima to her. When I finished explaining, much like GV, she commented on how lifelike it looked.

I chucked as Joule ran over to the real GV and began poking him, obviously thinking that he was the copy.

"I'm real, Joule" Gunvolt said with a smile, startling Joule even more when she couldn't tell the difference between them.

To avoid any more confusion, I dismissed the copy, It disappearing from the room.

Gunvolt turned to me, and said, "If your Septima is just summoning people, how could it... do what it did?"

Why do I have to talk about this? But, if I was going to work with Gunvolt, he had to know these things. So I began.

"If I made the strongest clone I could, It would be completely sentient. It could think for itself. And, if the clone I made of you was high leveled enough, He would have full use of your septima. And It wouldn't go away until it died. If sumeragi had one of you, it would be chaos."

That was it. I glanced at my now pale companions "It would be me all over again..." Lumen whispered from behind Gunvolt. I didn't even know she was there. "It'll be okay." I reassured Lumen with a smile. "It won't happen again."

At right then, with all of us together, I believe it wouldn't.

A/N

And there's another chapter! Do you think they are too close to fast? Please tell me if I should slow them down. *gasp* was that.... forshadowing!? Maybe it was. Tell me if you liked the Conjurer Septima, I really want to know what people think! Next chapter: Sub Aquatic Base! See you tomorrow!

Azure Striker Gunvolt fact #1: Joule's english name is Cyan, but I used the name joule for this.