Part 4: Was It Love?

______________________________________
Raven pov
______________________________________

"Why did you come back?" I ask Beast Boy.

"Well..." Beast Boy starts to speak when a cold ocean breeze interrupts him. "Well it sure is cold. Let's get inside." He says swiftly changing the subject and standing up.

He helps me up and I look at him, really look at him. He's wearing a black t-shirt with jeans and black Converse. He isn't short or scrawny anymore. He's gotten taller, maybe even as tall as Cy. His black t-shirt shows off his muscular arms and chest.

He catches me staring and raises an eyebrow at me, smirking. I quickly look away and feel a slight flush spreading across my cheeks. Why am I getting flustered? He just grew up, that's all.

"I know I'm irresistible, but can we go inside before my beautiful face freezes?" Beast Boy starts walking towards the tower.

"Wait, the window is broken." I feel my cheeks grow hot as his eyes lock with mine.

"So? We can just stay in our old rooms instead of the common room" He says confused.

"Well you probably don't want to be seen by anybody else..." I trail off staring into his green eyes.

"That's true, but I kind of don't have cash so I can't stay at a hotel or anything." He ruffles his hair.

"You can stay with me." I blurt out without thinking.

"Are you sure, Rae?" Beast Boy looks at me.

"Yes, as long as you don't mind sleeping on the couch." I say trying to act like I can't hear my heart pounding in my ears.

"Thanks Rae!" He starts grinning so wide his fangs can be clearly seen. He walks over and embraces me.

I can feel his muscular chest press against me and his toned arms wrap around me. I no longer feel the chill of the fall night. I just feel his warmth. I don't want him to let go.

He pulls away still smiling. "Let me grab my bag from the tower then let's get out of this cold." He says transforming into a bird and flying up through the broken window.
______________________________________
Fifteen minutes later
______________________________________

I slip through my window back into my apartment. A crow lands on my window sill behind me as I put down Beast Boy's bag and turn the lights on in the room. I hear the soft thump of his shoes on the floor as he transforms back into human form.

"Thanks for taking my bag. Can't really carry it as a bird." He chuckles, probably imagining what that would look like.

"No problem. You can take a shower and I'll set up the couch for you. The bathroom is across from the kitchen by the front door." I say going to my closet to look for a towel he can use.

"Okay, thanks a bunch Rae." Beast Boy says. His eyes shift to the green monkey plushie on the couch.

"Woah, my plushie! What's it doing here?" He asks walking over and picking it up.

"I..." My mind scattered, trying to think of a good excuse. "I thought it looked lonely without you." That was hands down my absolute worst excuse. That didn't even make sense! But better than the truth I suppose.

"Haha! I didn't expect that from you. Thanks Rae. I'm glad you kept him." Beast Boy says smiling.

He puts the plushie back on the couch and heads towards the bathroom. I am shocked he accepted my answer, but relieved he didn't ask about it further. I'd rather not tell him why I really kept the plushie. He would never let the matter rest.

I walk over to the closet and fish out a towel for his shower. I walk over to the bathroom and knock on the door.

"I have a towel for you." I call through the door.

Beast Boy opens the door fully. I almost drop the towel when I see him. He is still wearing his jeans, but... his muscular chest is on full display. I can't help but stare at him.

"Rae? You okay?" He asks oblivious to how he is making me feel. 

I nod, shoving the towel at him and quickly walking away to prepare the couch for him. I cover my flushed face with my hands. What the hell is wrong with me? I need to get myself together.

______________________________________

After prepping the couch with pillows and a blanket I go and boil water for some tea to calm myself. I didn't get very far until Beast Boy finished his shower. Thankfully he was fully clothed.

"Thanks again for letting me stay over Rae. After everything I really didn't expect it." He ran his fingers through his still damp hair.

I motioned him to sit at the counter while I made my tea. He sat across from me and I could feel his eyes watching me. I poured the hot water into my mug and put in the tea bag.

"You know nothing was your fault, right?" I ask taking a seat beside him.

"I'm not so sure about that. I made a lot of mistakes back then and it caused tension." He sighs.

"Beast Boy, you loved Terra and you were heartbroken afterwards. I've never experienced it myself, but it's obvious it hurts. No one should have expected you to be okay after that, especially Robin." I take a sip of my hot tea.

"Yeah, I guess. I just feel stupid about it." He frowns.

"Why? There's nothing wrong with falling in love and there definitely isn't anything wrong with feeling bad when they break your heart. Plus, everything was inevitable when Robin didn't tell us he got an offer to join Batman." I say looking at him.

"I just... When I was away I realized I didn't love Terra." He says quietly, looking down at the counter.

"What do you mean?" I ask a bit surprised. He seemed so into her. Was that not love?