Chapter 16 - Off to the Rescue

The camp outside of Mount Keji was just as dismal as it had been before Simon left, however, after his leaving, there was an even more depressing feeling in the camp. The night was late and everyone was trying to get some semblance of sleep, except for Storm who had offered to take first watch. The older boy watched the mountain coldly and sat in the still silence, his eyes dancing from the ominous shadowed mountain to the golden-red rune cage around it that flickered lightly like starlight.

Emma had passed out and was snoring, Tug snuggled next to her, occasionally kicking out with a claw but seemingly content next to the girl. Victoria was out like a light, recuperating from her hellish day and sleeping soundly. Kakumi was next to Victoria, sleeping lightly and waking up now and again, unable to find rest through his anxious mind. Ame and Silver were snuggled up together by the fire, near Storm's feet, sleeping soundly. Igneel had been sleeping but Storm noticed the boy was thrashing about and whimpering some words. With a steady hand that had calmed many of Ame's and Silver's nightmares, Storm stook Igneel gently and awakened the boy who lay a few feet away.

"NASHI!" Igneel cried as he awoke. He looked around wildly for a moment before his eyes rested on Storm and he deflated, biting his lip and staring at the ground in shame. "Sorry."

Storm didn't have anything to console the boy with as he was just as distraught, so he gave the boy a disheartened ruffle of his mess of blonde hair and resumed his watch.

Igneel sighed and rolled over, trying to fall back to sleep but found that task near impossible. The longer he lay, the more his mind wandered and found things to bother him and keep him awake. The stone in his side, the branch under his ankle, the sound of insects buzzing in his ears, an ant exploring his forearm... and then the prodding of Capricorn's key in his side.

Capricorn!

Igneel jumped to his feet and pulled out the golden key the glimmering in the firelight. If anyone could help or tell him what he should do, it was Capricorn! 

"I gotta go!" Igneel hissed to Storm.

"Where?" Storm asked.

"I'll be right back, I've just got to talk to Capricorn!" Igneel explained quickly before he tiptoed past the slumbering Fullbuster twins and slipped into the forest. He walked until he was certain he was far enough away from the camp, but not to far away as to not make out the fire's light aways behind him. He held out the golden key and recited the words his mother had taught him verbatim.

"Open! Gate of the Seagoat: Capricorn!" Igneel called. The sound of a doorbell filled his ears and a flash of golden light blinded him. When his senses returned to him, the familiar well-dressed goat was standing there, his sunglasses glinting in the moonlight.

"Master Igneel! Where have you been!? You're mother's been worried sick and has every celestial spirit ordered to - "Capricorn's lecture died out when he saw Igneel's expression. "What happened?"

Igneel swallowed a lump in his throat and looked to Capricorn nervously, "Promise you won't be mad?"

"I think I'm much more concerned over what you're mother is going to do to you when you return home, but no, Master Igneel, I am not mad per se, merely worried and in this instance I will refrain from scolding you."

Igneel took a large breath and told Capricorn about everything that had happened. About how he went off with Emma, Tug, Simon, Ame, and Silver to find his sister, about how they'd walked into a trap, about how Nashi and the other dragon slayers had been taken away, about his nightmares, about his worries. Capricorn did as Capricorn had always done and listened intently until Igneel was finished before nodding and sitting down across from the boy. Igneel did the same, getting into a quick criss-cross applesauce position and leaning forward, eager for advice.