Chapter 13 - Bait, Lure, & Catch

Amenista had posted herself in the Magnolia park. Curled up around the large tree, the wyrm had a good vantage point of the sky. She was able to watch for any dragons who dare come and try to challenge the guild or bother the nesting Wendy. The wyrm stretched in the warm sunlight, enjoying the warmth that brushed her scales, flickering over the scars that stained her figure.

She flicked a forked tongue over one of her scars, lazily trying to remember where that specific one had come from. If her memory served her right, it was from one of Tyregenium's loyal dragons, one of the many dogs that served him. She chuckled to herself as the memory returned to her... yes, that idiot had figured that because she was wingless she was easy prey. He'd died for that mistake, so perhaps a few claw scars were a small price for the wyrm to pay.

Amenista rested her head on her long body and closed her eyes, soaking in the sun. Perhaps the world was full of chaos, but in times like this, she was reminded of just how lucky she was. Surrounded by humans who cared little for her winglessness self, trusted to watch over the Queen of the Dragons as she nested. Trusted and loved, allowed to bask in the sun as long as she wanted and sleep safely beneath a tree. 

The wyrm was truly thankful.

"AMENISTA!" a shrill voice interrupted her thoughts and the wyrm's lips curled up in a smile. Yes, she was thankful for all of it.

The wise old wyrm raised her head and looked towards two of her favorite humans; Lucy and Levy. Both of them held Levy's young ones and were looking frantic.

"Levy, Lucy," Amenista greeted warmly, stretching a small bit as she looked to the two women. "Any luck with the enchantment?"

"No, but... but we need your help!" Levy explained.

"Help?" Amenista asked, tilting her head. "I'm afraid I'm not too good at tracking if you're asking me to go after your rebellious little ones."

"No, we need to know if you understand what these two are saying!" Lucy explained, plopping one of the twins on the ground. Levy did the same and the two small children looked up at the grand dragon.

In usual circumstances, Amenista would've smiled but at the moment she was puzzled. 

"You want me to understand... what hatchlings are saying?" she asked.

"Come on Kurui, tell Amenista what you told me," Levy pleaded to her daughter.

Kurui looked from her mother to the giant wyrm above her. Kuro looked up as well, his eyes void of any fear or wonder as children's eyes often were. Amenista saw an intelligence in their eyes, one that exceeded any child's eyes.

Suddenly, she glimpsed the future. Such a quick glimpse but something so certain.

Two adults, blue-haired, brown eyes, both tall and lean. They stood speaking to dragons, their tongues speaking languages that were both foreign and familiar. The air thrummed with magic power as the two smiled and engaged with their diplomacy. Dragon Slayers... they were dragon slayers.

Amenista looked at the two children with revitalized wonder and she brought her snout closer to the children.

It was Kuro who reached out and placed a hand on her snout, gazing up at the wyrm, a smile on his face.

"Tell me, child, what you know," Amenista murmured, her breath blowing both Kuro and Kurui's hair about.

"Fáthren..." Kuro explained softly, his young four-year-old voice was soft and almost sad. "Fáthren drübsetk. Methrá drü distruóact. Síe Fáthren drüther Höldrevn."

"Methrá n'ashaught sí distruóact," Kurui added, almost babbling the words to the dragon.

Amenista's eyes widened and she slowly backed away as the familiar language rung in her head.