Chapter 11 - Gone, gone, and gone

Nashi and Storm made their way through the woodland under the blanket of night. They trekked up the trail trying as quickly as humanly possible to leave Magnolia behind them before anyone could realize they were gone.

"So... off to beat up some bad guys?" Storm chuckled, he looked to the girl at his side, his blue eyes glimmering with light-hearted excitement.

"Oh yeah," Nashi grinned, her salmon hair was held up in a wild ponytail and there were a few strands that were thrown over her face. Her eyes burned with an intense fire that Storm hadn't seen in a while.

Nashi felt alive. Even if it was stupid, even if it was going to get her grounded for... well... forever. She was doing something, she was helping. Nothing felt better than the night wind in her hair and the promise of adventure ahead.

"You are the stupidest people I've ever met," a voice rang out in the night which made Nashi jump, a small fire bursting to life on her head, which she quickly patted out.

"Who's there!?" Storm demanded, his palms glowing a faint blue light as the air around him grew cold.

"Calm down you two, it's just me," a voice sighed. Lance strode from around the trail corner, a pack over his shoulder and his brown eyes looking at the two of them unimpressed.

"Lance!" Nashi hissed, betrayal in her voice.

"Calm down, I didn't tell Mom," Lance rolled his eyes as he said so. Storm glared at him but dropped his guard.

"What - What are you doing here!?" Nashi demanded.

Lance looked at her unbelievingly. "I'm going to a tea party. What do you think I'm doing, Nashi? I'm helping you go do whatever the hell you're going to do so I can help Dad!"

"I told you to stay behind!" Nashi hissed.

"And I decided I wasn't," Lance retorted.

"Who's gonna watch out for Igneel and Emma!?" Nashi demanded.

"They'll manage," Lance chuckled. "Now come on, I actually packed supplies so we can get to where we're going." At his words, he rearranged the pack over his shoulder and smirked at the girl.

"I... What kind of supplies?" Nashi asked, pausing in her argument.

"Oh, you know; Food, water, magical stuff that might help, food, jewel, did I mention food?"

Nashi rolled her eyes but smirked. "Alright, Lance, welcome to the group that's gonna get grounded.

"Oh yeah, I'm so dead," Lance grinned with his toothy smile.

With that, the three set off. Lance grinning, Storm looking at Nashi and sending discrete glares at Lance, and Nashi beaming as she looked up at the stars.

Nashi put her fist in the sky and grinned. "I'm coming, Dad."

(A few hours later)

"Nashi," Lucy knocked on the door, biting her lip. She looked down the stairs, listening to Igneel argue with Happy over the breakfast table. It was late in the morning and Lucy highly doubted that the girl was still sleeping.

She knocked again, "Nashi, sweetheart, breakfast is ready."

There was no answer and Lucy wondered if the girl was ignoring her. She couldn't really blame her, there was probably a lot on the girl's mind. Lucy pressed her forehead against the door.

Why was parenting so hard?

"Nashi... I know there's a lot going on. I know it's scary and that you're stressed but... I can bring breakfast up if you want." Lucy waited for a response, there was none.