32.

'Lisa, are you there?' the voice said. 

Lisa froze. She wasn't entirely sure that she wasn't going to the drop the phone she glanced over at Aster as he mouthed worryingly 'Who is it?'

She didn't answer and after another soft 'Hello?' she exhaled shakily and answered.

'Yeah, I'm here.'

There was a sigh of relief on the other end of the phone. 'I didn't think you would answer. It took me a very long time to get in contact with you, I didn't even think you would-'

'What do you want?' Lisa interjected. 

'I- We saw you on television. I wanted to see you, and the children.'

'You are aware they're part incubus? You do know that don't you?'

'Yes, I've seen the reports. We're both essentially their grandparents though.' 

Lisa didn't like the sound of that in her mother's voice. 'No, you aren't anything  to them. What is it that you actually want? Is it money? You want to profit off something horrific that happened to me, is that it?' 

'Of course not.'

'I don't want you anywhere near me or them and I know Achilles wouldn't want it too.'

'But I'm your mother, Lisa, please, I know we've had our differences in the past and I'm sorry for the way we treated you, it wasn't right and I'm sorry. I just want to see you again, please.

'I don't want you to contact me again.'

She hung up. 

'Who was that?' Aster said quietly.

'That was my mother.' Lisa said, her voice shaky. A weird pain washed over her and all the awful memories of her parents came flooding back. 

'I see' said Aster quietly. 'Not a welcome phone call, I take it?'

'Not welcome at all.' Lisa replied. 'We haven't spoken since 

'I'm sorry.' Aster said. 'It must be strange to not be connected go your family.'

'I thought it was going to be him.' Lisa said, sightly shakily. 'How pathetic is that? I thought he was going to ring.'

'Don't be so hard on yourself Lisa, there's no need. What did your mother want anyway?'

'Well,' Lisa began, 'She said she wanted to see me again.'

'Why don't you want to see her again?'

'My parents are crazy. They kicked me out because I dropped out of college and did absolutely nothing since. I don't even know why, maybe they thought they were teaching me something. I can't imagine why my parents would suddenly have a change of heart, unless it was to do with me suddenly becoming wealthier because of all this publicity. Maybe they want to cash in on the action. '

'That's messed up.' Aster replied.

'Yeah, it is messed up.' Lisa said, 'But messed up as it is, it's still a trivial human thing. At least my brother isn't stuck in some other plane.'

Aster laughed. 'My troubles are different, doesn't mean they're any harder to deal with.'

'We're a right pair aren't we?' Lisa smiled. She thought about how much she really liked Aster in that moment. He was probably one of the most sincere people she knew. She had become so tired with everyone she knew, she had started to see a fakeness in everyone. 

This became apparent the next day when Alison came to visit. 

'So I've started seeing someone' Alison said, sitting across from Lisa. 'I'm excited about it, it's nice.'

'Oh, that's lovely.' Lisa said quietly. 

Alison looked a little disappointed. 'You know, you could at least pretend to be interested.' She said it like it was a joke, but Lisa knew she was actually being serious.

'It's hard for me to be excited when I'm in the situation I am.' 

Alison sighed. 'Lisa, have you ever considered the possibility that Achilles isn't coming back?'

'No.' Lisa snapped. It wasn't a lie. She knew  he would eventually coming back.

'But what if he doesn't Lisa? You know I have a lot of fondness for the Starlings but you do all live in a bit of an echo chamber here where you all think he's coming back when maybe he might not.'

'Harsh, Ali.' Lisa was now looking at the wall behind her.

'Look, I just think you should consider-'

'Alison, did you ever like Achilles? Be honest.'

'Honestly Lisa, I didn't know him, and to be completely honest, did you?' Lisa could hear the frustration in Alison's voice rising. 'I know I've not been great in the past about the whole thing. I know I've given you some bad advice and I'm sorry for that, but as your friend I'm trying to make up for that now by giving you some good advice. You're sitting here, wasting your twenties, holed up in some house waiting for someone who you might never see again.'

Lisa felt like Alison had slapped her. 

'Where's this coming from?' 

Alison sighed again and looked at the ground. 'Okay look, your parents called.'

'What?!' Lisa shouted. 

'They were worried about you! I'm worried too!'

'I expect this from them but I do not expect this from you.'

Lisa felt betrayed. When she had first moved, she had told Alison about her parents. Alison knew their relationship and she was surprised that she would even speak to them. She supposed they probably contacted her in some desperate appeal to get Lisa to talk to them, but she was angry that Alison had even indulged them in any communication at all.

'They told me you were vulnerable to things. I'm sorry Lisa, but I think they have a point to be worried about you.'

'You obviously don't know me if you spoke to them Alison, get out.'

'Lisa-'

'Get out!'

Alison stood up,gave Lisa a long look and said; 'Think about the person this is making you become Lisa.'

She left without another word and Lisa slammed the door behind her. She felt a rage bubble inside her and she screamed. She didn't understand why Alison would do this.  She didn't want to think about anything Alison had said and she put her head in her hands. The anger she felt was overwhelming. It had become so intense so quickly and it wasn't like anything she had ever felt before. She didn't completely feel herself and if she had been more self aware in that moment, she probably wouldn't have let it consume her the way it was now.

Aster, was was just about to leave for home, came down the stairs. 'What's all the yelling for?'

Lisa turned to him and he look surprised. 'Lisa..'

'What?' Lisa yelled. The anger she was feeling had made her feel like it wasn't her in control anymore. Suddenly her vision went black and she felt a sharp shock travel up her spine. Falling to the ground, she opened he eyes again and groaned. 

'Yes, Aster?'

'Lisa, your eyes just flashed red and you collapsed.'

'What?' Lisa groaned again. 

'Why are you so angry?' Aster asked softly. 

'Alison said some things.' Lisa groaned, still not opening her eyes. 'And then I just felt this rage-'

Lisa was cute off by the  door of Ezra's study opening and he looked at them both, shock on his face.

'What?' Aster said, looking even more confused. 

'I saw him.' Ezra said. 'I saw Achilles.'

I AM SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG! I got temporarily locked out of my account but I'm back. Also, I am aware that Lisa is very unlikable and rude at the moment but TRUST ME this is deliberate lol

Thanks for reading!!!!