36 | Quicksand

--------------------------

08:55am.

On the outside, Shimizu Ren was the epitome of everything calm, composed and charming. Her "delightful" appointment for the day hadn't arrived yet, so she waited for him while making small talk with the players who have come up. Shion-san was keeping her entertained with some his witty quips directed at the players, especially Kiyoomi-kun.

Kiyoomi-kun...

The man was a mystery and that had very little to do with his face constantly being covered a mask. The only thing she always noticed were the way his eyebrows furrowed at anyone who spoke to him, except when it was Shouyo and herself. Boy, was she glad she read his file before meeting the team.

If only she had read through the other important file as well... She would have been better prepared.

"Atsumu-san!" shouted Shouyo, announcing the presence of her day's appointment.

"Good luck, Ren-chan," whispered Bokuto-san as he placed his warm hand on her back. "You're definitely going to need it," he sighed.

She looked around to see his intimidating form approaching her with narrowed eyes.

"Bokkun, your locker is mess. Better go check it out," he said out loud.

"Eh? Really?" he asked, and shot off in the direction of their locker rooms. A niggling feeling told her that the Spongebob lied about it, only to get Bokuto-san away from her, and Ren has come this far in life only because she trusted her instincts. She decided to believe in it again. So now she was all alone in the presence of the setter...

Eh? Alone?

She looked around, only to find that most people had indeed dispersed and left her vicinity with the sole exception of Sakusa-san who was glancing between her and Atsumu. She couldn't make out his expression, and his eyes weren't giving away anything either.

"Let me know if you need any help, Ren-san," he said and left her, as she stared at his receding back, a little despair creeping into her thoughts especially when his tone sounded so ominous.

Alone... with Miya Freakin' Atsumu...

She shifted her gaze to look back at Atsumu and turned around to slowly face him, as if bracing herself for the inevitable battle, that he picked to fight out, and seem a little intimidating.

But that didn't stop Atsumu from swaggering towards her though, as if he was calling her bluff on the false bravado. He roved his gaze up and down her frame intently, taking his own sweet time as it travelled everywhere at a painfully slow pace, leaving her insides in a quivering mess. She crossed her arms in defiance, unable to find any other way to escape from the heat in his gaze.

He stopped right in front her, letting his entire frame lean and rest on his left side and his head slightly tilted to the left as well. His gaze was still locked on her chest, which (as she belatedly realised) was now even more on display because she crossed had crossed her arms.