28 | Dance Of Fallen Leaves

--------------------------

It wasn't this awkward for Atsumu when he first figured out where Ren lived and was hanging around the gate of her house, just like he was right now. But today, after more than a month's time of dating each other, he felt some unfamiliar pangs of awkwardness.

Or maybe, it was guilt. Or remorse.

She wasn't supposed to be on the receiving end of his nasty words ever. Everyone had been there. He had consciously made every effort to avoid doing the same to her too, and yet failed yesterday. It had nothing to do with Kita-san or his mother's warnings about treating her right either. He had decided that for himself way before either of them warned him, and yet, he had failed.

So he decided it was remorse indeed. The failure of not being able to stick to his own promises and standards was something not acceptable to him. He always got what he wanted; whether it took a few minutes or a few years to get the job done, he always got it done. So her expression of hurt because of his own callous words were not acceptable to him.

The door jolted open to reveal her hunched figure hurriedly putting on her running shoes, but she paused in the middle of slamming the door shut behind her when she spotted him.

"Ittekimasu!" she shouted, closing the door and walking out. "Good morning."

"Morning Ren-chan."

She shifted around the gate slightly before opening it and walked out onto the pedestrian pavement. He jogged behind her to catch up to her, and gradually they found harmony in their pace as they walked in the general route of their weekend runs.

The air between them was slightly heavy, but it wasn't aggravated and it wasn't uncomfortable. He decided to break free from the gloom and say what he knew he had to say to her.

"I'm sorry-."

"Did you rea-."

They looked at each other simultaneously, but he felt himself break into a smile, seconds before she smiled warmly at him too.

I guess it is resolved, but it's better to bring it all out in the open.

"I'll go first," he sighed before resuming. "Ren-chan, thank you for coming over yesterday. I didn't deserve to be treated with maturity especially when I was being an asshole to you. I'm really sorry for saying hurtful things and insinuating that you would be anything other than earnest and honest with me," he said.

Her expressions softened further before she said, "I like you Atsumu. And it's because I like you that I'm willing to resolve any issue that might be a hindrance to the both of us."

He smiled at her, wondering how she managed to still like him when he felt completely undeserving of such magnanimity from her. He was about to reply when he saw her expression turn slightly mischievous as she looked at him.