Date Night

Nina

"My answer is 'yes' for both of your questions."

What does she mean? I had forgotten about my headache as I was trying hard to breathe through the sudden confessions.

She loves me too. She is my mate.

I am her mate. And for how long she has known it? Did she know from the beginning? Needless to say, I knew the answer. She knew that I was her mate from the beginning.

"For how long have you known?" I was not sure if Saranya had sensed the fury building up inside me, but she had become alerted for sure.

"About...about what?" Saranya stuttered. "That I love you or that..."

"The latter." Even while facing my back towards Saranya, I knew she was dead nervous, "that I am your mate." I clarified.

"Oh!" This time I clearly heard Saranya gulp, "from the beginning. The day I saw you in...in that place...from then."

And the volcano erupted with a roar. After knowing this from the start she had never uttered a word to me, while my confused ass was busy thinking nights after nights that Saranya could never be my mate. Moreover, after all of these the wolf was busy wagging her tail in excitement. I was wishing to bang head against the wall---either mine or Saranya's.

"Nina, I know you are angry. You should be. But let me explain for once..."

Oh sure! I would let her explain. "Where are my slippers?" lowering my head I looked at the floor for them. Finding them nowhere I tilted my head at Saranya.

Stupefied, Saranya halted all of a sudden. She coughed and pointed towards the foot of the bed. "You were roaming around the room in your boots last night. The maid placed your slippers near the foot of the bed in the morning."

Saranya watched me climbing down the bed and haphazardly walking to the foot of the bed. She was yet to sense what I was up to. When grabbing a slipper from the floor I aimed at her, Saranya's eyes widened. She jumped up and moved aside as I threw the first slipper in her direction.

"Nina, let me explain," holding up her hands in the air in surrender, she began to move back as I was taking steps forward. Her words went past my hot head. I threw the next slipper and Saranya failed to dodge it completely. The rubber end of the slipper hit the side of her head. "Ouch!" Saranya mumbled, rubbing her head with her palm. Dawn, who was relaxing on the floor till now, jumped up and started barking in excitement.

"You asshole, you fucking knew everything from the beginning," I growled gathering my matted curls with my hands furiously. Pulling them in a messy bun I began to look for a clutch to hold them in place. "You fucking coward, you couldn't spill a word even after I came back to you. Do you have any idea how fucking confused I have been?" Spotting a clutch on the bedside table beside Saranya, I stomped past her to grab it.

Saranya timidly moved aside and mumbled back. "Nina, please. Just listen to me for once."

"Yes. Sure. I will. And then no one would be able to save you from me." Tying my hair I turned around and walked towards the door. "Not now. Because if I listen to you for another second a massacre will happen in this room."

Perceiving her human was tremendously angry over the scary woman, Dawn chose to follow me and left Saranya's room along with me. Halfway through my room, I remembered, my backpack was still in Saranya's room. So I had to walk back there. Seeing me at her door, Saranya's face lit up in hope. The brightness died the next moment when she learned that I was there only for my laptop bag. While storming out of the room for the second time, a strange sadness channelled through me. Saranya was sad and dejected--- I felt it.