Presents

Nina

I want Saranya to get all the happiness she deserves.

"What did you wish for?" Saranya asked me when my arms were still tightly wrapped around her waist and my face was hidden in the curve of her neck. Even though her hands were still occupied with the cupcake and the bouquet, she lightly hugged me back. "Tell me, what did you wish for?"

"We must keep our birthday wishes a secret," breaking the hug I said. Saranya's face fell by my words. Taking the bouquet and before walking away from her to grab a vase from the shelves to keep the flowers there, I saw Saranya pouting at me.

"Who makes these stupid rules?" She followed me around the room. When I found the empty flower vases kept inside the cupboards smaller in size she quickly went to the library and carried out a large porcelain flower vase wrapped in bubble sheets from there. "Who makes the rules?" handing me over the vase Saranya questioned me once again.

I purposefully ignored her knowing by that way she would keep following me and went to the bathroom to fill the vase with water. Saranya kept following me there and carried the vase half-filled with water for me while I unwrapped the bouquet and put the flowers inside the vase. Even Dawn had started to observe our movements curiously by then. Being fond of flowers, when I placed the large vessel full of flowers on the floor she began to woof and circle it.

Saranya watched Dawn for a moment or two before shifting her attention back on me. "The flowers are beautiful," walking back to the bed and having a seat on its edge I smiled looking at them. "I love gerberas."

"They are like you--- so bright yet so comforting." Saranya sat down beside me. Her arm found its way around my shoulder, her fingers began to play with the strap of my camisole. For some reason, I felt that she was a bit nervous.

Both of us were silent for the next minute. Both of our eyes were on Dawn--- how easy it was to cheer her up. Suddenly I remember that we were yet to savour my birthday cake. Leaning forward I picked up the cupcake from the coaster placed on the bedside table.
"I make the rules about birthday wishes," tilting my gaze at Saranya with the cupcake in my hand I asked her, "who made it?"

"Umm," Saranya cheeks heated up all of a sudden by my question. "I was initially planning to make a chocolate cake for you but knowing my talent in cooking Myra suggested that I try something easier. Even though I overbaked the first batch of cupcakes, the second batch turned out to be somewhat presentable," she chuckled while picking her nails absently. "If it turns out to be good then don't expect anymore as I am sure Myra has already fed the other five to her beloved girlfriend."

She watched me with squinted eyes while plucking the tiny candle out of the cupcake I took a bite. "It is good." Saranya let out a grin of relief and placed her arm back on my shoulder. "But it could have been a little spongier," I said, licking the vanilla frosting off the cake. "You must have messed up with the eggs or the temperature was not right."

Saranya frowned at me. Of course, she could not have taken my criticism casually. Holding my chin in between her thumb and index finger she turned my face in her direction. She was about to say something when her eyes caught something on my lips. Her thumb moved up and wiped away a small amount of frosting from my upper lip. "Next time I will bring you to help me in baking your birthday cake," Saranya said, licking off the vanilla frosting from her thumb.

"Thanks," I mumbled at the woman who was busy ensuring that there was no frosting stuck inside the nail of her thumb. "Didn't you have concerts today and tomorrow?"

Saranya paused examining her thumbnail listening to me. "I am kind of cancelling them. I will rearrange them next month." Her other hand went inside the pocket of her trousers.