Reconciliation

NINA

"You want to visit the North's pack?" Saranya repeated after Nina. "Alone?" She spelt the last word slowly and carefully. Her fingers were still intertwined with Nina's fingers. Her dark orbs were curiously observing the tense stare of the girl standing opposite her. Saranya's face was unreadable.

"Yes?" It was more of a question than an opinion from Nina's side. Her throat had dried up, along with her, the wolf of hers was also on alert sensing the volcano of anger Saranya was holding back.

Saranya was about to say something but held herself back. Instead, she freed her right hand from Nina's grip. Bringing her hand close to Nina's face, her long fingers gingerly tucked the curls falling on Nina's face behind her ear. Nina unknowingly shivered as the cool fingertips touched her skin. Saranya didn't relish the response. It was evident from the way creases appeared on her forehead and her fangs were scraping against her lower lip. Nina was intently following her mate's reaction from the corner of her eyes.

"Very well," the response came from the Queen moments later. "You want to visit your pack. I am no one to stop you. But," the Queen lisped, placing her right hand inside her joggers' pocket. "I will accompany you."

Nina knew it! The minute Saranya uttered 'very well', Nina knew there would be a catch. She took a deep breath. She tried to free her left hand but found it being firmly held in place by Saranya. "I want to visit my pack alone," Nina said once again, with firmness.

"I'm afraid, you won't get permission from the Queen then," Saranya flashed a grin with her bare fangs. Nina tried to protest but the Queen didn't let her speak. Holding her left hand even more firmly, Saranya began walking towards the mansion, forcing Nina to follow her.

As they moved forward Nina caught the glimpse of the guards who were patrolling around the mansion premise. They seemed to have doubled up within half an hour. All of them were avoiding eye contact with both the Queen and Nina. It gave Nina a rough idea about the wrath of the Queen they had faced when she was chatting with her prisoner aunt. She kept her mouth zipped until they were inside the mansion.

"Saranya please try to understand..." Nina tried to convince her mate once again while they were climbing the stairs. The woman didn't give her any chance to speak. She abruptly stopped in the middle of the staircase and tilted her head to face Nina.

"Little wolf, you must catch some sleep. Your presence will be required in my office early in the morning." Saranya's voice sounded colder than ice. When Nina's eyes met with her mate's inhuman orbs, Nina immediately dropped the idea of convincing Saranya. Blue bulged up veins were gradually becoming prominent around Saranya's face. It was no rocket science to understand that one wrong step could make the woman blow up the entire mansion.

For the night, Nina accepted her defeat. "Yes," she lowered her head, partly to avoid Saranya's gaze and partly to enact her mock surrender convincingly.

The couple didn't stop until they reached their bedroom. Saranya released Nina and held the door open for her. Nina went inside quickly. Saranya didn't follow her.

"Please try to catch some sleep." Much to Nina's surprise, Saranya kept standing outside the room. Before the bewildered younger woman could say anything Saranya spoke for herself, "I would prefer to spend the night in my office. Please don't follow me there. I need some time to reevaluate certain matters. I will come to fetch you in the morning."

Saranya slowly walked away from their bedroom, towards her office.

Nina kept looking at the half-open door. She didn't chase her woman. When she heard the faint sound of the office's door being unlocked, she sighed and closed the door of their bedroom.