Chapter 37

So, yesterday, I accepted the chocolates in the end because the kids did not allow me to leave the cafe without it. My biggest fear in taking the chocolates home was answering mom and Salima about from where I got it — which hasn't happened yet but definitely will within the day.

At least if the kids weren't around, I could've lied to my family, saying Naomi or some other friend gave it. But now if I lie, I'd get caught. Mom is at least okay because she is gullible, but it's not the same case with Salima. My sister almost always finds out when I lie.

Luckily I had my regular meeting scheduled with the boomers today. So, I came here early in the morning, before any questioning session could even start.

Anyway, before I left home, I gave the box of chocolates to mom and asked her to give a share to Salima. So, probably tonight I will have to answer a few questions.

In a way, I don't even know what I am trying to hide. I mean, the truth is that Zayan gave it to me as a client — so of course there's nothing wrong about it. Also, it's just chocolates. Not drugs, right?

But you know, when you are a girl who has never received chocolates or any form of sweet gesture from a guy before, then it might come out a little strange for your family. More like a shock!

And at the rate of desperation my family is now, I'm sure they'd start thinking of the chocolate gifter as a potential suitor for me and might even start daydreaming of a possible marriage scenario between us — and that's the last thing I want them to do. Zayan and I are nothing like that! I have a slight crush on him and that's about it.

He is just a client and my family need not know anything about him! In fact, after Sameer, I decided that I will never reveal to my family about any of my interactions with men — be it romantic or unromantic.

As I keep thinking of what possible lies I could tell about the chocolates, the boomer CEO's words interrupt my thoughts, "This is great, Ilhaam. You are doing a good job!" I smile and say, "Thank you, Michael." Oh, I love the boomers! They are my easiest clients when it comes to impressing. I can do nothing and still impress them.

Even the other two clients they introduced are easy to handle, because again, those companies are managed by boomers too, so they do not know much about marketing, and therefore they agree with my suggestions without debate.

Amer is by far the most difficult client. I don't know whether it's his age or his intelligence but it's very hard to convince him. He only does things that he feels positive about. As for Zayan, I'm yet to find out. It's been just a week, right? So, it's hard to judge right now. I really hope he agrees to my suggestion about influencer marketing. Perhaps I should drop him a text.

"Okay then. Keep working on it, Ilhaam. Let's meet next week" says the boomer. I say "sure" and get up to leave his cabin.

As I walk out, I type a message for Zayan, "Hey 😊 What do you think about getting some influencers involved to promote Second Chance?" Soon after I send it, I receive a reply from him, "Does it work? 🤔"

I walk into Naomi's cabin typing out a reply for Zayan when Naomi's excited voice says, "Hey Ilhaam! Good to see you!" I smile and say, "Yes, me too! How are things with you? How's therapy?" She smiles and replies, "All good. Therapy is great. Another two more sessions and we would be done, I guess."

We continue to talk about a few more things and Naomi asks, "So, anyone new in your life?" I smile and say, "No, it's just me and work for now. Life is good this way."

Naomi sighs and says, "Aiyo Ilhaam! You just have to let yourself go and open up to love again." Seriously, Naomi? Open up to love again so that I could let a second guy ruin my life like your husband did to you? I have so many things that I could tell her but I don't, because I don't want to hurt her. She may have forgiven her husband but I still hate him for what he did to her.