Chapter 12

It's 6:00 am and I'm going to bed only now. Since it's Saturday and I don't have to go to work I was on the phone with Sameer the whole night. We talked the most random stuff ever.

I mean, mostly it was about work. I updated him about things that happened with Saad, James or the boomers and he told me a few things about his own workplace. I've always wondered what couples have to talk for so long.

I used to think getting into a relationship meant having all these lovey-dovey conversations and in a way I was scared of it when we started this, because duh, I'm not used to that life! But I am glad things are going this way.

Random conversations plus a bit of flirting — just plain old Ilhaam-Sameer conversations and I'm totally comfortable with it! The only thing that has changed is that we are now girlfriend and boyfriend but deep down we are still besties!

I guess that's the advantage of being in love with your best friend — you don't have to force feelings unlike in an arranged marriage. Things just happen with time and it's beautiful!

"Ilhaam, wake up! It's 9:00 am already" I hear mom's voice say as I struggle to open my eyes

"Ilhaam, wake up! It's 9:00 am already" I hear mom's voice say as I struggle to open my eyes. It's Saturday for heaven's sake! Why can't she just let me sleep till 11:00 or 12:00? Nothing to lose right!

It's not just my mom by the way. A very common habit in all brown parents — they want their kids to wake up early even on off days for no reason at all! Now if I tell her this she would remind me about having to attend lectures.

It is true I have a Marketing class at 2:00 pm but there's still time for that. Even if I start at 12:45 pm from home, I'll be able to make it on time. There's no point arguing about it now.

So, I get up and sit on the bed. And mom sits too. Okay, that's weird. She normally walks out the moment she gives me the tea.

"Ilhaam, I need to discuss something with you about that boy Salima told me about" says mom. Wow, so she doesn't like Sameer? Is she going to ask me to break up with him? Maybe she just wants me to marry some dork through a proposal.

I thought my family was cool about love marriages but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, no need to panic. Let's just talk this out. I can convince her. I'm not a weakling like Aisha after all.

So, I ask, "Yes, mom? What about him?" Mom replies, "I am happy for you. So is dad" and I start smiling. So this isn't what I thought.

Maybe it's about the 3 years plan. Oh crap! How am I gonna handle that? Before she says the rest, I ask, "Is this about the 3 years delay mom?"

She shakes her head as if to say no and continues, "No, we are a little worried about it but that's fine. Let's try to at least do the engagement next year when he comes. What I mainly wanted to discuss is that, don't ever mention to anyone in the family that you both fell in love. Won't be very good on our family. I'm going to tell everyone a proposal has come right and you maintain the same lie, okay?"